Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Philippines My pigs needs new home (Philippines)

morrigan

Cavy Slave
3 boars and 2 sows.

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
I wish I could say I would adopt them, but 1 is enough for me to handle right now with the hay and pellet problems.

Maybe I could adopt 1 sow... but it's probably not good to spilt them up, I don't know.

morrigan

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of asking you too. But then I'm having second thoughts of giving my pigs away.

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
Hehe =) So why did you decide you wanted to put a few of your piggies up for adoption? You have 9 piggys in total don't you? That must quite a big responciblity!

I think our piggys are rather fortunate to have us as owners here really. We care about our piggys. I sometimes dread to think what happens to the other piggys here that are bought by other people. I doubt they would go out of their way to get hay etc. It seems most people here think Guinea pigs are just big hamsters. When I first got my piggy I only got a 50cm wide cage and a woman asked me why I got such a BIG cage!? BIG? It was far too small for my piggy!

morrigan

Cavy Slave
Actually I'm fine with nine. It's no hassle. Even before we thought of giving them when we found out that one of pig is pregnant. Like what you said, I doubt that people would would go as far as what I did with my other pigs. I think no people would go to the vet (or even bother to find an excotic vet) to treat their piggies. Or spend much on their pellets, bedding, veggies, hay (i'm still looking) Or even research on the net on how you would take care of the pigs.

I thought of giving them because two of my pigs are pregnant (I know, my mistake). But then I'm finding ways to reduce the expenses. Right now, I'm using towel for bedding (reusable. so that I won't buy bedding anymore), I'm starting to plant grass on my little pot (so far its surviving) and with that I don't have to buy much on the veggies. So the only thing that I have to buy is pellets and their veggies and other needs (like vitamin c).

(sorry, i didn't realize it's that long already)

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
Wow, well I certainly admire you for looking after all those piggies =) Because personally I think I can only handle 2 at most. I worry about the expensive if I had more than 1 or 2 piggies. I want to give the best care to the one I already have, if you see what I mean.

I know exactly where you're coming from about people here not bothering with vets etc etc. For expensive reasons or whatever. People treat animals pretty badly, generally speaking. The rich seem to be mostly the only ones that treat their animals in a more "part of the family" kind of way. But I'm not rich and I doubt you are either. If it meant I didn't eat to look after my piggies I would (stupid eh?). I donno... I believe every creature on the earth deserves to be treated well.

I also find cheaper ways to care for my piggy. I use old newpapers for floor lining and shredded newpaper and rags. I do use vit C suppliment my piggies water bottle, but when that fails I give her 1/2 a tomato a day since it's high in vit C.

What I find ridiculous is they sell Guinea pigs here but don't sell the things to accommidate them. Hay, pellets, Aspen wood shavings vit C? Silly. But of course I doubt if they stocked those things it would make them much money, so they don't.

I think we deserve an award! lol. Oh well, done moaning now hehe.

(Sorry, long too hehe)

morrigan

Cavy Slave
Taking care of two gps have no difference in taking care of one. Though of course you have divided attention for the two.

I don't think doing something for your pigs is stupid. I mean you have invested so much emotion with your pigs and doing as such isn't stupid. I admire you too for greatly taking care of you pet. You're right. All living creatures here deserves the right treatment.

They don't have the stuff here in the Philiippines for gps because they're not really popular here and is not that educated about them (especially the pet stores)

Cheers for the both of us, Astrantia :)

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
Yep! Yeah for us! =D I understand them not being popular here, but I believe if they sell the guinea pigs, they should sell the supplies too.

How... I know this isn't in the right forum and it's going a little off subject... but where is it that you are getting your pellets now? Or would you prefer I e-mail you about that? =)

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
I just wanted you both to know that I am sorry if I was out of line with my earlier posts in the bedding section - i was totally unaware of the lack of supplies in the Phillipines and it is not my place to judge anyone. Please forginve me and accept my apologies. I was way wrong and truly didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings and come across as a know it all because I am not.

Again, I am sorry.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

screamingflea

Cavy Slave
looking for hay?

Hi, it seems that alot of guinea pig owners are looking for hay.

I've been looking for Aspen bedding but alas, there's none here in the Philippines.

I have found hay though if you guys are interested. There's this petshop over at SM north, the Under The Sea petshop, here's some contact info if you are interested:

3rd level SM City North Ave., cor. Edsa, Pag-asa 1 Quezon City

Tel: 925-3525
Email: [email protected]

They sell it by 1 kg for around P200+
I'm not sure what kind of hay it is though (timothy or alfalfa). A friend of mine bought some of her rabbits and they seem to like it.
That petshop is pretty good, well-stocked and have lots of equipment and toys for various animals.

And just in case you're wondering, no I don't work for them. :D
I'm just an avid pet-owner.
Hope I helped you guys out with your hay problems.

cavylover

screamingflea

Cavy Slave
I've referred a number of my friends there already, I think I should demand a discount from the store! ;)

And errrr, can't really relate to the "wendy's commercial" comment because we don't have those here in Manila.

morrigan

Cavy Slave
That's ok MOM TO CUJO. Sometimes you really can't avoid to do things like that. I'm also guilty of doing that. But at least you/we're sorry. No worries.

SCREAMINGFLEA. I heard that too about the hay in Under the Sea. A piggie owner shared that to me. Thanks for the contact though. I still have to check out that store.

Last edited:
cavylover

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
hey isn't this supposed to be about CAVIES?

Denise

Cavy Slave
Don't be rude, threads often get a bit off-track.

pennick

Cavy Slave
these posts are 1 year old.

Denise

Cavy Slave
It's just like me not to pay attention to the details! LOL

Louis
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.