Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Philippines Philippines Hay Dilemma! :-(

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone :) Here's my problem; I live in the Philippines (but I'm British ;-D), in Pasig City and I have NO idea where to buy hay. I've looked in Megamall's Bio Research, Greenhills and a few other places and I can't find any! I really don't have a clue where else I can buy some. I'm really concerned if I don't find some it will hinder my Piggies health :-( I looked at online petstores for shipping some here, but the shipping costs more than the hay itself! It would cost over $100 to ship it here. If anybody has any idea how or where I can get some hay over here tell me :-( I'll go to the provinces or wet market or anywhere to get it.

Also, Bio Research in Megamall ran out of Guinea pig food. I'm on to rabbit food which really isn't suitable!

If anyone knows of an online petstore that ships cheaply to the Philippines tell could you tell me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Help me, help my piggy! :-(

(P.S - Just noticed I'm not the only one having this problem here)

morrigan

Cavy Slave
Hello there.

Well yeah I'm having a hard time too finding hay in the Philippines but no luck. Anyway, try looking for grass there that isn't treated with fertilizer or any pesticide. Get some and plant them in an open lot or in a pot(like what I'm, doing right now).

One of the posters (JudiL) who has a gp rescue at guinealynx (www.guinealynx.info) is willing to send me timothy seed but she hasn't replied to my email. But still waiting.

As for the pellets. Found a gp pellets supplier that is much cheaper than that of Bio Research. Its 230 pesos for 5 kilos of the pellets (bought 10kilos). Email me at [email protected]. Rabbit pellets is not safe for gps

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
Hey morrigan =)

Thanks for the growing grass in a pot idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that! *Doh*

Also thanks for the link =)

I'll e-mail you about the rest ;-)

Salamat po! =P =)

morrigan

Cavy Slave
Walang ano man :)

chordita

Cavy Slave
Hay and Pellets

Hey guys,

Just a suggestion on where to find hay. Look for anyone who has a cow or horse, usually those people have some hay or know where to find it. Also have any of you contacted Kleenmama from (broken link removed)? I'm sure if you explain to her your dilemma she may be able to ship you hay for a resonable price. Additionally, fresh grass is a good substitute for now. You will have to grow more than a small pot though.

As for the pellets, DO NOT FEED RABBIT PELLETS! They do not contain Vitamin C and some may even include antibiotics toxic to cavies. It is not crucial to feed pellets, aim instead to feed more fruits and vegetables. Look here to see which are ideal and can be found near you: https://www.guinealynx.com/nutrition.html#veg
You can also grow some. In addition to this, you can supplement your pigs (form GL):

"Vitamin supplements: chewable flavored C can be found in 100 mg tablets which when quartered will add 25 mg to a guinea pig's intake. Some people have good luck with liquid vitamin C, which can be found at some health food stores. In cases of deficiency, providing small amounts of vitamin C several times during the day when hand feeding or administering medications may help treat scurvy more quickly. Vitamin supplements should only contain ascorbic acid. "Multivitamins should not be used because of the potential for toxic overdose of vitamins other than C." (Harkness and Wagner)".

chinaman_ph

Cavy Slave
Hay & Pellets

A couple of weeks ago I visited Under the Sea Petshop at the 3rd level of SM North EDSA near Quantum Arcade, I saw imported hay their it is not cheap though. With regards to pellets, I feed my little critters pellets that is available at Progressive Poultry Supply Corporation (Tel: 3723636) in EDSA South bound beside Shell Station that is almost accross Toyota Balintawak-North. It is Cheap than Hagen and smells better too. Under The Sea sells guinea pig pellets put very very expensive P 50 / half kilo so don't be fooled on buying.

Last edited:

morrigan

Cavy Slave
I don't like the hay they sell in Under the sea. It's kinda expensive for a small bag.

SDMarcum

Cavy Slave
free hay just shipping

how much is the shipping for say a regular moving box from the US. If you can afford it I'll ship you hay for no cost if you pay the shipping.

Last edited:
cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

bravoa

Cavy Slave
my new cavies

I just want to share some pictures of my cavies. My 2 Peruvians gave birth 3 weeks ago. Now I have 12 pigs. I feed them with Calf Mana (around PHP 42.00/ kg), some carrots, cabbage, cucumber, and the local kangkong.

bravoa

Cavy Slave
additional pictures

and some of the babies...

sunsetsky

Cavy Slave
Cartimar sells good hay...

vinci

Cavy Slave
which cartimar?
recto o libertad?

don12

Cavy Slave
hello... if u would like to buy some hay, i could buy it for you. Just text me 09212544555. Where could i buy or adopt a female peruvian guinea pig? I only have 1 and i think he looks lonely.

don12

Cavy Slave
yeah, i've already read about it and aware that guinea pigs are shall we say quick/fast breeders. i would likt to have my pair of guinea pigs to have babies and then have him neutered. I have ample room for another piggy in my cage and already take into consideration of having baby piggies when i built my cage.

truffles

Cavy Slave
I think they sell the hay in Tiendesitas, I'm not that sure,(going tomorrow to check it out) but i found a pet shop in Robinsons ( i forgot the name) that also sells hay, but there's only one pack left!:(

ultimatecavies

Cavy Slave
I think they sell the hay in Tiendesitas, I'm not that sure,(going tomorrow to check it out) but i found a pet shop in Robinsons ( i forgot the name) that also sells hay, but there's only one pack left!:(

no hay in tiendisitas but there are pellets you can find hay in cartimar(pasay)

cavy_moon

Cavy Slave
They actually sell versale laga natural hay in Tiendesitas. The same brand is being sold in Under the Sea.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
This may be a silly question, but where did you get the guinea pigs to start with? If you bought them, wouldn't the same store have supplies? This is an anti-breeding site, but I would also ask that you please don't consider breeding until you have steady, reliable hay supply/source.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.