Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Multiple Boars

I hear conflicting advice about numbers of boar which can be safely kept together.

I have two boars and they get along fine, but I often hear that there is a problem if more than two are kept together. At some point in future I'd like to have more than two guineas - would I need to switch over to girls to do this.

I'm also wondering if it i a space thing, and whether people using the C&C dimensions have fewer issues with multiple boars than those using 'traditional' environments.

Personal experiance with two or more boars would be appreciated. Bare in mind that I have no sows so competition over the sniff of females is not an issue.

Thanks,
    Spirited

Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Multiple Boars

I have four boars living together fine. Occasionally i hear some teeth chattering and there is some chasing and mounting but most of the timne they are fine. I think having them in a larger cage help as they have more places to go and get away from everyone if they want to.

Plonkerworld, the new happiest place on earth!
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My three boys live in a 3x6 C&C cage and they get along with almost no problems. In fact, two ofmine cuddled the other night. I think that adding my newest boar actually helped, because one of my guys tended to be a bully to my other, so when I added Samwise to make it three, the bully had two pigs to talk to and rumblestrut at, so neither of them was really 'bullied'.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    505 Rec'd/65 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

The basic idea is that the more space they have, the more chance there is that they will get along well, and the more boars can be kept together.

I once kept 2 boars in a standard 3ft x 1ft hutch, and they fought. They were fine during floor time and out in the run, as they had the space to escape from each other when necessary, but as soon as they got shut up in the hutch they started fighting again.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

It depends on personalities also, some pigs just don't get along...I had two boars and decided to get a third one, they fought everytime they got near each other so they are permanently separated. Age is also a factor, if you have two adults, you will want to get a young boar.

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you've got a roomier cage then there is more chance of them getting along. A lot of the members on this board have a herd of boars that get along just fine. Sometimes it's easier to pair younger pigs with older pigs. That way, they won't all be going through puberty at the same time.

User Tag List