Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Boys are being unusually aggressive

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
So to start, one is 3 yrs old and the other is around 4 months. I know puberty can cause some issues. Gimbly is dealing with bumblefoot right now, so maybe that's part of this. I came home from work and Maple Leaf is rumbling and shaking his booty at Gimbly, and they're both chattering quite loudly. They're never like this - Gimbly is a very relaxed pig. Gimbly has charged at Maple Leaf quite a few times. Maple Leaf runs off each time. Gimbly has also chased him a couple times. However, they are eating together and Maple Leaf went thru the face cleaning motions with Gimbly nearby. Right now they're resting in separate houses like usual. This sounds like typical boar behavior to me but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything, especially since I haven't had a baby go thru puberty yet.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're going to get lots of that. I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the show, as long as no blood is drawn. Gimbly is likely a bit grumpy because of his feet but nothing to worry about.

You'll get so used to it that it will become rather comical.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's perfectly normal.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
You'll get so used to it that it will become rather comical.

This is true for Maple Leaf. When he rumblestruts, he stands there and slowly moves his whole rear end back and forth. No one else does that.

They were still quite fiesty last night and seem better today.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pooper was a butt wiggler. Leo is also a butt wiggler, and it's hilarious. None of my other boys have done that. Most of them just put their nose in the air and grumble.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Taking care of male gpigs is like caring for unruly children...Maple Leaf has been rumblestrutting again and bothering Gimbly, and Gimbly responds with some teeth chattering and will chase away Maple Leaf. Maple Leaf will run away and come back. He has tried to do some humping too. Sometimes Maple Leaf goes at it for several minutes. He will sometimes popcorn after so I know he's having fun.

They have had a face-off a few times and Maple Leaf's hackles go up (which I've never seen in any of the pigs).

I'm really used to Chico and Amigo bickering like this all the time, but poor Gimbly isn't like that and just wants to be peaceful.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry too much about the hackles. Leo does that constantly to Simon. Simon just looks at him as if to say, "Really, dude?"

Leo doesn't mean anything by it. He just thinks he's the biggest toughest pig on the block. He's really a big squishy cream puff.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Maple Leaf is having periods of being aggressive and being peaceful. Some days everything is calm and others aren't. The past couple days he rumbles and humps Gimbly endlessly. Gimbly just makes is distraught noises and tries to get away. No fights. It's driving me nuts.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Things have calmed down again. Maple Leaf has been dragging his rear and getting a lot of stuff stuck in his butt and his weenie. Is there anyway to prevent stuff from getting up there? Right now I just check him daily. It's mostly long hairs and small hay pieces.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Changing the bedding to fleece is the only thing I can think of.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Changing the bedding to fleece is the only thing I can think of.

They already live on fleece. I'll just keep checking his booty.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.