Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements Oxbow Natural Science (Supplements) - Your Thoughts?

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone!
I was just writing to check out what the general consensus is regarding Oxbow’s Natural Science supplement line, product-to-product? I’ve included my thoughts on some of the products that I’ve used as well.

• Vitamin C:
    • For over the past year I’ve made it a daily routine to give my 2 pigs (elder Nibbler & youngster Owlie) their Vit C tablets (1 per day), which they absolutely crave and love. I’ve been reducing vegetable intake for the past few weeks while I monitor bloat/gas. From general research, vitamin C is a must for guinea pigs, so this is only going to help!

• Joint Support:
    • Only Nibbler has been getting these (1/2 tab 2x per day) over the past 2 weeks as he’s the elder and figured he can use a little joint/inflammatory supplementation based on some x-ray notes we’ve received from the radiologist — something about increased osteophytes/stifle joint being observed. This supplement wasn’t suggested by the vet, but something we figured to throw in his diet. This is a fairly new “treat” to him but he enjoys it and I hope it helps.

I have not tried the following but many seem enticing:

• Digestive Support
    • I’m interested in this, but not sure if it’s particularly necessary considering Nibbler is given probiotics every other day, and Owlie is a youngster.
  • Multi-Vitamin
  • Skin & Coat Support
    • This has minor dosages of Omega 3s which is obviously beneficial to humans, but to guinea pigs, would it be similar?

• Urinary Support
    • I’m interested in this as well but don’t really know much about it or it’s ingredients. A quick search of Glucosamine which is a main ingredient shows that it’s beneficial for joints, but side effects in humans can be bloat and gas.
  • Papaya Support
    • These are labeled as another type of digestive support apparently and I believe it has active enzymes in its ingredients which might be beneficial to some regard (I just don’t know how). Lol.

Nibbler and Owlie have been given Oxbow Simple Rewards daily in the past as they absolutely love each flavor/type, however I pulled Nibbler from these as he has been on antibiotics recently and so I was restarting his diet basically; but Owlie continues to get them.

Has any of your pigs used these products? Or interested in using them?

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
My pigs used to love the Oxbow Vitamin C tablets until they changed the formula and made them more of a wafer compared to a tablet. After that none of my pigs would touch them even after soaking the wafer to soften it up. I had to switch to a different type of Vitamin C. The only product that I have used from your list is the Joint Supplement. I found that it seemed to help my older pigs by keeping them more agile. I noticed that when I started that supplement my pigs seemed more active and they ran around a lot more. It almost seemed like it loosened up their little legs and made them feel more comfortable.

The rest of the supplements that you listed are probably beneficial but I wonder how many of them are really needed. The Skin & Coat supplement really seems unnecessary and I always thought that the Papaya Support was more for rabbits than guinea pigs. I've seen mixed reviews on the Urinary Support tablets. I've thought about trying them but I wondered how beneficial they really are for their urinary tracts.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I had given the Joint Support tablets to both Pooper and Sly, years ago. They seemed to help Pooper and even Sly later on in life, however, neither pig would eat them on their own.

I had to grind the tablet up with a zester, and mix it in with a small amount of Critical Care. After that it was like candy to both of them.

I generally use Vita Drops Vitamin C if they need a little extra.

escapay

Cavy Slave
I use the Vitamin C ones on occasion. Usually I use the Thompson's Children Vitamin C tabs and have them split into quarters (or half sometimes for one of my girls that is older and has been recovering slowly from ringworm). My pigs are good about taking them.

And then I started using the Urinary Supplement more recently for my male, Tater, because his brother had a bladder stone in the past and just in case he would be predisposed, I am trying them out. Plus he is 5 years old so trying them out.

I like the idea of the Joint Support ones but haven't gotten those. They would probably be good for Brownie and Tater since they are 6 and 5 years old. The others don't need them since they are younger adults (10 months - 2 years).

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I only use the Vitamin C. I'm assuming it's been working since I've used it since 2020. Our vet also sells it but I haven't seen them selling any other varieties. I'm a skeptic by nature, including with some OTC pet supplements. I considered using the urinary treats after Amigo had a UTI last year, but I never did.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I only use the vitamin C. Gidget doesn’t like the various treats, and even the vitamin C I have to break up so she takes it. For a while I had to rub it with cucumber or carrot to get her interested. My other guinea pig, Lacey, would rip a vitamin C out of my hand and take off to a hidey - it was her favorite.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
I only use the vitamin C. Gidget doesn’t like the various treats, and even the vitamin C I have to break up so she takes it. For a while I had to rub it with cucumber or carrot to get her interested. My other guinea pig, Lacey, would rip a vitamin C out of my hand and take off to a hidey - it was her favorite.

Seems like we need to trick some little ones into getting their vitamins, but that’s a great idea. These supplements are hit and miss. Nibbler stopped taking his joint support last week. He’s just not into it anymore I guess. I generally like their products though.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
My piggies have tried almost all the Oxbow supplements and I used to give them a vitamin C in the morning and a different supplement after dinner. However, about 3 months ago Lily decided she wasn't interested in any of the supplements and the other two piggies, Felicia and Rumi, followed her lead. It has been hit and miss since.

Vitamin C - Recently switched to the Sherwood version which all the piggies love but it is very expensive compared to Oxbow's. The Sherwood vitamin C tablets are berry flavored and the piggies love blue berries.
Joint Support - Lily will take this occasionally and as she is 5 years old, I've been trying to give her one nightly.
Digestive Support - Felicia gets soft poops every few weeks so I've been trying to get her to take this nightly but she isn't always interested.
Urinary Support
Papaya Support - Started using this when the piggies refused the urinary support tablets.
Skin & Coat Support - Just started this about 2 months ago as Rumi, the new alpha pig, from a shelter came with dry skin. The pet store owner that I take Rumi for nail clippings also have pigs and suggested this supplement.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Hey SSLee, I just read your mention about Sherwood Pet Health brand tablets and went ahead and purchased the Prevention Support (for seniors). Figured it wouldn’t hurt to try out another brand especially this is geared toward Nibbler’s current situation.

If these don’t end up working out, I’m going to try the other Oxbow support tabs.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm going to put this here for those of you who are having trouble getting your pigs to eat the oxbow tabs.

NONE of my pigs would EVER eat them in tablet form. I mean never.

So what I ended up doing, is buying a zester. It's hard on the fingers but it works. Grind the tablet into a power and mix it with a little bit of critical care. I usually just stood the zester on end in a bowl and let the powder fall in.

Mix up the critical care thick, like you could roll it into a ball. Put it on a plate and watch your piggie gobble it up.

Sly used to get these every single day. I used to call it his cookie. I would ask him if he wanted his cookie and he would go bananas. It got the point where I didn't even have to ask him, he would simply hear the spoon clinking in the bowl at a certain time of day and he would start dancing.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Sounds like a great idea GPP. I may have to try that with these Sherwood Pet Health Prevention tablets, both of my guys run from it - and it just came in today. It’s a bummer because the profile of these tablets seem like a great mix.

I’m going to order the Oxbow multivitamins and maybe digestive support, seems like they don’t mind the texture of Oxbow’s treats/supplements.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
I’m thinking we didn’t seal our previous joint support bag all the way and it lost it’s appeal with Nibbler because he took one from a new bag without hesitation. ��‍♂️

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.