Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Can you add lavender or other scent to washing machine with the fleece bedding?

Misicka

Cavy Gazer
Hi!

I have a GuineaDad bedding and wash it with sensitive skin detergent and vinegar in the washing machine. However, after some time anything that comes out of the washing machine smells kind of weird.. Like a mix of vinegar with something. So I was wondering if it's safe to use some kind of scented oil or something like that to wash the bedding. I was also thinking of getting some lavender sachets to hang on the drying rack.

Thanks for all answers :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No. Don't add any scents, oils, or anything else to their fleece. Pigs have very sensitive respiratory systems and as such are VERY susceptible to upper respiratory infections. These can come on very suddenly and the your pig can be too sick to save before you even realize they ARE sick.

I use Tide Free and Clear washing my fleece, and add a cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle.

Misicka

Cavy Gazer
Oh ok, thank you :)

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I use 7th Generation and vinegar, and the bedding sometimes comes out smelling too...not a bad smell, but it's definitely a pig smell.

escapay

Cavy Slave
I usually have mine go through either a second rinse or a longer rinse. And sometimes will just wash the fleece twice so the smell is lessened. I also use an unscented detergent and vinegar because they have sensitive respiratory systems.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.