Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Two sows fighting! help!

Guineapigflower

Cavy Gazer
I got two bonded sows from a local rescue on Wednesday. They are reportedly 8 months old. Tonight I noticed Orchid chasing Dandelion to hump her. Dandelion kicked her off but Orchid continued to chase. I think Dandelion finally had enough because the started to chase back and try to hump Orchid. This resulted in them kinda circling each other. They haven’t drawn blood yet but I’m afraid that it’s going to turn serious.

They are in a 4 grid*2 grid C&C cage with two water bottles, two hay bags, a fleece forest, hammock, and three wood tunnels. I took away loft access for the time being because Fights were starting up their.

Should I leave them together or separate?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Leave them together. If they haven't drawn blood there is no reason to separate. They are two sows who are young and have been tossed in a new place together, and they basically need to go through the process again together. New digs, so maybe a new boss.

Give them time. They will settle down. Good idea about the loft access for the time being. It would be even better for them if you expanded the bottom cage and left the loft off altogether. More space.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
And take out two of the tunnels. They need room to run around.

Ditto @Guinea Pig Papa about adding the loft space to the bottom of the cage. Much better all the way around.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.