Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Trouble feeding Critical Care

lennier1

Cavy Slave
Lavinia (4y 9m female) has had both a fungus and suspected UTI (blood in urine) lately. Her appetite decreased when she started taking griseofulvin, and more so after she started Baytril. I can't say to what extent that was caused by medication side effects vs. the conditions themselves. I took her back to the vet today and he said she was dehydrated and had GI stasis. He gave subcutaneous fluids, discontinued the griseofulvin, and started metocloprimide. I've been giving her Critical Care, but it seems more difficult than in the past. Even giving it more slowly than usual, a lot dribbles out of her mouth, like she's not swallowing it. She's definitely chewing, though, which I read means they are eating it. How can I tell? Any advice on getting her to take it? How slowly should I be giving it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're probably not getting it far enough back in her mouth. Insert the syringe from the side and push it in about half an inch. Then turn it so that it's facing the back of her throat, and give about 1/2 cc at a time. If she still lets it drool out, then put the syringe in a little farther.

If you get it all the way back to her molars, she'll chew and swallow unless she's just about dead.

lennier1

Cavy Slave
Thanks. She doesn't seem especially weak at least. What syringe is best? I've been using a 3ml syringe with a 5/8 inch thin endpiece, and putting the end all the way into her mouth. I have a 1ml syringe I can get in a little further. I think I got her to bite down on it with her molars. It came out coated in Critical Care, though. She chews afterwards. It's hard to tell how much she's actually eating.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See if the 3ml syringe end fits into the plunger end of the 1ml. It should, I think you are using the same ones I was. I found feeding with a 1ml syringe MUCH easier for my pigs. Just make sure you mix the CC thin enough that it doesn't squirt out with a lot of force, which can choke your pig. Scooter used to drool at least half of the critical care I was giving him. Once I switched to the 1ml, not only was feeding twice as fast but he ate FAR more CC. If she bites the end of the syringe with her molars you're in exactly the right place.

Edit: I was using one of the 12CC Monoject curved syringes, with the curved part cut down. That wasn't enough to fit in the pigs mouth properly so thats why I started injecting INTO the 1ml, from the 12CC. It should work the same with the 3ml.

lennier1

Cavy Slave
I don't have any curved syringes. It's a little harder to fill the 1 ml syringe, but doable.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I admit it's a pain to fill a small syringe with another. But once I figured out the best way to do it, it made feeding my boys MUCH easier. That, and I knew they were getting enough food.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
There is also an extra fine CC that seems to be more palatable. When Lacey was ill, she didn’t like the anise or the apple banana flavors. I ordered the papaya find grind and she really loved it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.