Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Cyst Unknown Growth on Guinea Pig

Skoskia

Cavy Slave
Hi!
Today when I giving my sister’s guinea pig Coco a bath i noticed that she had a pea-sized growth in her lower back above her hind legs. to me it looks like a wart or some type of cyst. apparently the growth was a lot smaller before (a few months ago) and thought to be a wart.
Coco is 10 and 1/2 years old and this growth isn’t seeming to cause her any pain even when touched and doesn’t seem to be affecting her but i wanted to see is anyone knew what it could be, I attached a photo for reference. Growth isn’t super hard and nor completely stuck in place, it moves around if you touch it.
Please let me know your thoughts,
Thanks!

Attachments

6B6C957E-FF80-4BE9-BE54-050C62484509.jpg 655CBCA0-C5D7-41DB-82C0-C12F96E1A819.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You sure it's not her grease gland? Right above where her tail would be if she had one?

Regardless, at 10 and a half (wonderful age for a guinea pig!), I'd be unlikely to do anything about it.

There's some more info here: https://guinealynx.info/cyst.html. Be sure to check the links at the bottom.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Id most certainly say its just a cyst. My girl has one too, just not as wide of an opening. Near the hips on the back is a very common spot

Attachments

8CB28F73-5D64-4879-BF7B-64958F88C796.jpg

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
It looks like something one of our cats had. Looked just like that, felt hard but it could be moved like it wasn't attached to anything under the skin. I forget what it was called, but basically an overactive sebaceous gland I think that built up a bunch of junk. The vet just had to yank it out (note - don't try to do that yourself and plz see a vet if you want it removed). If it bothers her, or you, I would have your vet check it out. No one can say for sure what skin issues are from just a pic.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.