Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Behaviour question

I have a behaviour question Iíve never observed in any of my other guinea pigs. Iím assuming itís some sort of play. In any case, itís not causing problems, it just makes me laugh.

I have 2 boars, born 2 weeks apart. A Lunkarya and a Standard. I got them at 4 and 6 weeks. They are 7/7.5 months now and healthy.

There is the occasional purring/rumblestrutting, but itís always followed with a popcorn and a cage zoomie. Itís nothing serious. The behaviour Iíve never seen is that one of them, usually the Lunkie, will slowly rumble up to the other, rub his bottom in his nose, squeak, popcorn, and take off.

It is actually the funniest thing Iíve ever seen in my life. But I canít find anything on this particular behaviour. Does anyone elseís pigs do this??

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    973 Rec'd/754 Posts

Re: Behaviour question

My boy Leo (a standard) will rumble up to Simon (also a Lunkarya) put his head up on top of his back from behind. Simon will either start twitching and complain about it, or twitch and run away. Either way Leo will just stand there continuing to rumble.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

What my boys do is a little different. For reference, 8-bit is my Lunkarya and Gaffer is my Standard.

8-bit will sorta of sneak up to Gaffer, rub his butt on him, then 8-bit (who did the butt rub) will popcorn and zoom away.

I have a video lying around somewhere.

It is definitely being done on purpose. If I had to compare it, it’s somewhere between a kitten pouncing to play and a teenage boy teabagging his buddy. And I’ve never seen it in guinea pigs. Sometimes Gaffer will chase 8-bit when it happens. But they don’t fight. They just zoom around the cage and then collapse on a pillow after a few rounds.

Occasionally, one will run his tail against his brothers tail, but this doesn’t provoke the same reaction.

And I really want to reiterate, there’s never fighting. The chasing really genuinely seems playful. Like, they want to be chased by the other. And they get along very well and are the most well bonded pigs I’ve ever owned.

Most of the time, 8-bit is the instigator. Occasionally Gaffer will instigate.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    973 Rec'd/754 Posts

Sounds adorable to watch to me, and it sounds an awful lot like the playing that Scooter and Punkin would do. I have never seen a better pair of brothers than they were.

Absolutely enjoy what you have with them!

User Tag List