Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Behaviour question

Mousewife

Cavy Slave
I have a behaviour question I’ve never observed in any of my other guinea pigs. I’m assuming it’s some sort of play. In any case, it’s not causing problems, it just makes me laugh.

I have 2 boars, born 2 weeks apart. A Lunkarya and a Standard. I got them at 4 and 6 weeks. They are 7/7.5 months now and healthy.

There is the occasional purring/rumblestrutting, but it’s always followed with a popcorn and a cage zoomie. It’s nothing serious. The behaviour I’ve never seen is that one of them, usually the Lunkie, will slowly rumble up to the other, rub his bottom in his nose, squeak, popcorn, and take off.

It is actually the funniest thing I’ve ever seen in my life. But I can’t find anything on this particular behaviour. Does anyone else’s pigs do this??

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My boy Leo (a standard) will rumble up to Simon (also a Lunkarya) put his head up on top of his back from behind. Simon will either start twitching and complain about it, or twitch and run away. Either way Leo will just stand there continuing to rumble.

Mousewife

Cavy Slave
What my boys do is a little different. For reference, 8-bit is my Lunkarya and Gaffer is my Standard.

8-bit will sorta of sneak up to Gaffer, rub his butt on him, then 8-bit (who did the butt rub) will popcorn and zoom away.

I have a video lying around somewhere.

It is definitely being done on purpose. If I had to compare it, it’s somewhere between a kitten pouncing to play and a teenage boy teabagging his buddy. And I’ve never seen it in guinea pigs. Sometimes Gaffer will chase 8-bit when it happens. But they don’t fight. They just zoom around the cage and then collapse on a pillow after a few rounds.

Occasionally, one will run his tail against his brothers tail, but this doesn’t provoke the same reaction.

And I really want to reiterate, there’s never fighting. The chasing really genuinely seems playful. Like, they want to be chased by the other. And they get along very well and are the most well bonded pigs I’ve ever owned.

Most of the time, 8-bit is the instigator. Occasionally Gaffer will instigate.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds adorable to watch to me, and it sounds an awful lot like the playing that Scooter and Punkin would do. I have never seen a better pair of brothers than they were.

Absolutely enjoy what you have with them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.