Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Should I adopt on Craigslist?

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
So I have been wondering would it be good to adopt on Craigslist. I have been wanting to adopt 2 more girls for a while and with internet issues and being busy since school started I have held off on submitting my adoption application ( I submitted it but the place I did it had bad service so it never sent.) I have seen people rescue guinea pigs in dire situations on Craigslist. I watched Scotty’s Animals video about adopting on Craigslist and that you could be saving a life. I don’t know whenever to adopt or rescue on Craigslist? ( I know the difference between breeders and piggies that need rescuing if you are wondering.)

SSLee

Cavy Slave
My first two piggies were adopted through Craigslist. They were in a situation where the owner worked multiple jobs and did not have time to take care of them so they were staying with a friend and her rabbit. Now I don't think the piggies were actually in the same cage as the rabbit. But the cage was in disgusting condition when I got the girls. There was hay and dirt caked on top of the Living World cage cover and the inside was just filthy. I spent a good two hours scrubbing out the cage. The girls were in good health though. I wouldn't hesitate to adopt through Craigslist again.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
My first two piggies were adopted through Craigslist. They were in a situation where the owner worked multiple jobs and did not have time to take care of them so they were staying with a friend and her rabbit. Now I don't think the piggies were actually in the same cage as the rabbit. But the cage was in disgusting condition when I got the girls. There was hay and dirt caked on top of the Living World cage cover and the inside was just filthy. I spent a good two hours scrubbing out the cage. The girls were in good health though. I wouldn't hesitate to adopt through Craigslist again.
Thank you for the story! You are such a good person to do that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You mainly have to be careful that you aren't getting a pig from a backyard breeder who's misrepresenting themselves as wanting to rehome a pet pig. But other than that, there's no real problem with getting one from a Craig's list listing.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
You mainly have to be careful that you aren't getting a pig from a backyard breeder who's misrepresenting themselves as wanting to rehome a pet pig. But other than that, there's no real problem with getting one from a Craig's list listing.
Thank you very much for the advice, and do you have any tips on how to identify backyard breeder?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
There's nothing wrong with buying from Craigslist, but I would be careful with who you buy from and be prepared for any issues. In other words, I am automatically skeptical about anyone selling animals and I assume the worst before I even get there. Be prepared to take animals to the vet and automatically expect there will be health issues or something else you'll need to correct. Have a good amount of money saved up to spend on any problems the pigs bring home.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
There's nothing wrong with buying from Craigslist, but I would be careful with who you buy from and be prepared for any issues. In other words, I am automatically skeptical about anyone selling animals and I assume the worst before I even get there. Be prepared to take animals to the vet and automatically expect there will be health issues or something else you'll need to correct. Have a good amount of money saved up to spend on any problems the pigs bring home.
Thank you for the advice. I am planning on taking them to the vet and expecting the worst. I will debate the pros and cons.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
One thing about the vet visit, where I live, if one adopts an animal from the shelter, they would have had a vet check up as part of the intake process. Upon adoption, I can use a vet from an approved list and get a free wellness check up. The vet I use participates in that program. I think I am also able to contact the shelter within 14 days of adoption and get vet advice. Of course, this would differ base on your area's shelters. With a Craig's List rehoming, that security blanket isn't there.

I've seen CL posts that I suspect were from backyard breeders. They tend to list a large number of babies and I see postings, every two or three months, with new babies. They also never offer to include anything to go with the pigs. Posters giving up their pets often include cages, liners, hay, pellets, water bottles, etc...That is how I ended up with the Living World cage, which I've since donated to an independent pet store to use for boarding.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
One thing about the vet visit, where I live, if one adopts an animal from the shelter, they would have had a vet check up as part of the intake process. Upon adoption, I can use a vet from an approved list and get a free wellness check up. The vet I use participates in that program. I think I am also able to contact the shelter within 14 days of adoption and get vet advice. Of course, this would differ base on your area's shelters. With a Craig's List rehoming, that security blanket isn't there.

As many probably know, my experience is completely different...I have adopted guinea pigs and a hamster from 3 different city animal shelters and was not offered the same things that would offered to cats/dogs (samples, a free new pet visit to an area vet, etc). YMMV greatly on such things, sadly. Altho I did have the chance to have Maple Leaf's ringworm treated by the shelter vet, they first blew it off as bullying by other pigs.

No matter if you adopt from a shelter or CL, I always take a very negative expectation with me that things will be totally horrible and I'll have to see a vet. Hopefully wherever OP is, that won't be the case. This is just from own crappy experiences since 2020.

Ethically, I view adopting from shelters or CL one of the best things one can do. Pigs at a gpig rescue are safe and in an environment that caters to gpig needs. Shelters or CL sellers may not know what the best thing is for the pig, or the conditions may just not be good for the pig. If you're willing and able to help one of these animals and can put the money into it, it's definitely a great thing to do and can be rewarding.

I'm sure there's great shelters and CL posts with people who care and I hope you're able to find one.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
As many probably know, my experience is completely different...I have adopted guinea pigs and a hamster from 3 different city animal shelters and was not offered the same things that would offered to cats/dogs (samples, a free new pet visit to an area vet, etc). YMMV greatly on such things, sadly. Altho I did have the chance to have Maple Leaf's ringworm treated by the shelter vet, they first blew it off as bullying by other pigs.

No matter if you adopt from a shelter or CL, I always take a very negative expectation with me that things will be totally horrible and I'll have to see a vet. Hopefully wherever OP is, that won't be the case. This is just from own crappy experiences since 2020.

Ethically, I view adopting from shelters or CL one of the best things one can do. Pigs at a gpig rescue are safe and in an environment that caters to gpig needs. Shelters or CL sellers may not know what the best thing is for the pig, or the conditions may just not be good for the pig. If you're willing and able to help one of these animals and can put the money into it, it's definitely a great thing to do and can be rewarding.

I'm sure there's great shelters and CL posts with people who care and I hope you're able to find one.
I am going to check my local shelter but the last few times the have not had any guinea pigs. I will probably adopt from them because they are over capacity and they are no kill. I would also like to say thank you to everybody for giving me advice!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.