Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Unknowingly Adopted A Pregnant Guinea Pig (Any Advice is Welcome)

Classy_Lass

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone!

I adopted a female bonded pair and a week later adopted a third female. I was so excited to have my own little herd and what beauitful and fascinating animals they are! I was told the last female I adopted had been alone without a cage mate for months. I was told she had two prior litters over the course of her life. I thought how wonderful for her to have friends after being lonely. I have had all of my girls Sugar, Toffee and Oreo for just a month. Within that time I noticed Sugar's stomach becoming very enlarged. I researched and saw information such as bloat and tumors. Needless to say I was very stressed and took her to the vet. I was then told she was pregnant and full term as the pups have teeth which are the last stage of development. You can imagine the shock. The vet told me to seperate her immediately. My husband I had designed a C&C cage for my trio and I only had one cage from the first bonded pair that I kept just in case I ever needed it. I have been closely monitoring her and checking in every 10-15 minutes. The vet was suprised she hadn't gone into labour with the visit with him and changing her environment. I wish I had known earlier as I'm told she needs alflafa hay and young guinea pig pellets to help with the pregnancy. Sugar is not fond of that hay at all. So I have combined timothy hay and a hay from a farm mixture in with it. I'm open to any advice as far as birth, pups etc. I'm so attached to her and she has been through so much! I'm scared of any complications. Sugar just turned 2 a few days ago and I heard pregnancies aren't ideal at all for her age. I was told once the pups are three weeks to bring them in to be sexed because week 4 they could be sexually mature! I have ordered the materials for an addition to my orginal 2x5 C&C cage. Seeing her in there alone breaks my heart. She is eating and drinking a lot. I'm constantly swapping out her hot spot pads. Today I noticed she is laying around a lot! Lots of movement in her belly. I never paid much attention to her private area but it looks rather big? Please anyone with expierence tell me what I should look out for that could be problematic I have a 24 hour vet nearby just in case. I'm a bag of nervesa Thank you in advance.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
It sounds like you have everything squared away and you even have a reliable vet nearby. I would have everything ready to go just in case you do have to rush to the vet. Hopefully all goes well.

Classy_Lass

Cavy Gazer
It sounds like you have everything squared away and you even have a reliable vet nearby. I would have everything ready to go just in case you do have to rush to the vet. Hopefully all goes well.

Hi thanks for your reply! I feel very under prepared. I appreciate your kind words. I'm just wondering if it is okay that she is laying around a lot today. Still eating and drinking.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I have no experience with a pregnant guinea pig, but from everything I've read from others, it's very common for them to lay around when they are close to delivery. I'm sure she feels very uncomfortable being so far along in her pregnancy. Did you say that she has already had a litter before? I believe I've read that having a previous litter makes it easier then having a first litter after they are older.

I wish Sugar all the best and please let us know how everything goes.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know that I'd go back to that vet to have them sexed since s/he didn't seem to know that pregnant females don't usually need to be separated from other female guinea pigs. You do have to watch closely in case you have the one-in-a-thousand sows who doesn't like pups, but most guinea pig sows make great aunties. Now, you'll have to wait until the pups are several weeks old and then do full introductions again.

You can post close-up, well-lit pictures of the genitalia when they're about two weeks old or so, and we may be able to help you sex them.

Classy_Lass

Cavy Gazer
I have no experience with a pregnant guinea pig, but from everything I've read from others, it's very common for them to lay around when they are close to delivery. I'm sure she feels very uncomfortable being so far along in her pregnancy. Did you say that she has already had a litter before? I believe I've read that having a previous litter makes it easier then having a first litter after they are older.

I wish Sugar all the best and please let us know how everything goes.

Hi there, yes the previous owner told me she had two prior litters. I thought that may help and I truly hope it does. I feel much better hearing it's normal behavior for her to lie down. My husband thinks I'm nuts because I'm constantly checking her out. I can't help it. I love her so much and want everything to go smoothly.

Classy_Lass

Cavy Gazer
Interesting I did read quite a few articles stating you don't need to remove her from her herd if they are all females. The vet said to take his advice and seperate because it could turn into a bad situation. It is going to be a lot more difficult with reintroducing all over again. It took some time initially and they had been in a good place all together then this shock came! Your so kind to offer assistance on determining the sex. I do not want any mishaps! She's literally the sweetest angel. Her babies are moving like crazy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.