Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Using The Loft As A Toilet

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! Good news! It took a little bit of work, but Cupcake finally got used to her ramp!! In fact, her loft is probably her new favorite place period! She just loves it up there! There's a problem though. She loves it TOO MUCH! You see, ever since she's gotten used to it, she hasn't just used it as a hideout/sleeping area. She's also been using it as a toilet! Is there any way to teach her to..not do that? I mean, normally I wouldn't mind but I really don't like her laying in her own pee and poop. Or anyone's really lol. Any tips would be appreciated! For now I'm just going to have to take the ramp down for now IG. I really don't want to because she really liked it up there and I don't want her to forget to use it but I don't really have a choice rn. I don't really have any fleece bedding to put up there unfortunately. I barely even had enough for her normal cage lol.. Anyways, thanks in advance and sorry if I forget to respond! Just know I am reading your replies!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
There's really no way to make her stop. I recommend getting several fleece liners for that area that you can switch out daily or however often. I use "potty pads" in my boys' houses, which are basically just smaller fleece squares I lay over the existing bedding, and switch out as needed. I get mine on Etsy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nope, there's not. They're going to pee and poop the most where they spend the most time, which is generally where they eat and sleep.

Sometimes you'll have cooperative pigs who'll choose a place they like to go, and you can put something there to catch most of the output. But most will go wherever and whenever they please.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Eventually everything becomes a toilet. If you have a Dollar Tree nearby they sell white microfiber polishing cloths in the automotive section or by the cleaning products. They are very soft and fleece-like, they wash well, and my guinea pigs seem to prefer them. Throw a few of those in the loft and it will be much easier to clean up.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
haha, my guinea pigs will poop everywhere and anywhere. I once had a foster piggy that would only poop in one corner. That was a very clean guinea pig. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.