Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Guinea pig mites

Okay so I bought a Guinea pig from the pet store the other day, I have watch so many videos on Guinea pig with mites, lice, and rig worms. What it looks like is that my Guinea pig have mites. Itís near his butt, looks like he has been scratching at it, and has been losing hair. So my question is how much childrens Benadryl I should give him? I donít know his weight. Heís a small Guinea pig a baby, and also is it save to give him ivermectin paste? If so how much and how often.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01A3772B-7F33-4D89-9EB4-C0616684D8BF.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	88124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55BC61C8-FC6D-423F-AFBC-A439D9526D8B.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	88125  

Mentioned
    2125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4129 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,573 Rec'd/6,055 Posts

Re: Guinea pig mites

That could also be ringworm. That's not the typical mite loss pattern, which is an upside down V running from mid-spine down toward the hips. Also, I doubt seriously he can reach that area to either scratch or bite it.

How much does he weigh? He needs to be 350 grams to take ivermectin for mites, otherwise he needs kitten Revolution.

You can get an antifungal cream from any pharmacy. Apply it with a q-tip and rub it in well, and use gloves -- fungus is contagious to humans.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/146 Posts

If you recently got him, have you contacted the pet store? Many pet stores offer a health guarantee for 14 days. At the very least, they should help you diagnose and treat him, and also check their current guinea pigs in case this is something contagious.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    96 Rec'd/79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZoo View Post
    If you recently got him, have you contacted the pet store? Many pet stores offer a health guarantee for 14 days. At the very least, they should help you diagnose and treat him, and also check their current guinea pigs in case this is something contagious.
    Do this. If it's a chain like petsmart or petco, they will treat the pig. At Petsmart, the pig is treated in store til it's better. Pigs with issues like this are far too common because the suppliers suck. We see a lot of sick animals come in where I work. Ringworm is really common in our pigs.

User Tag List