Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Guinea pig mites

Rhino

Cavy Gazer
Okay so I bought a Guinea pig from the pet store the other day, I have watch so many videos on Guinea pig with mites, lice, and rig worms. What it looks like is that my Guinea pig have mites. It’s near his butt, looks like he has been scratching at it, and has been losing hair. So my question is how much childrens Benadryl I should give him? I don’t know his weight. He’s a small Guinea pig a baby, and also is it save to give him ivermectin paste? If so how much and how often.

Attachments

01A3772B-7F33-4D89-9EB4-C0616684D8BF.jpg 55BC61C8-FC6D-423F-AFBC-A439D9526D8B.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That could also be ringworm. That's not the typical mite loss pattern, which is an upside down V running from mid-spine down toward the hips. Also, I doubt seriously he can reach that area to either scratch or bite it.

How much does he weigh? He needs to be 350 grams to take ivermectin for mites, otherwise he needs kitten Revolution.

You can get an antifungal cream from any pharmacy. Apply it with a q-tip and rub it in well, and use gloves -- fungus is contagious to humans.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
If you recently got him, have you contacted the pet store? Many pet stores offer a health guarantee for 14 days. At the very least, they should help you diagnose and treat him, and also check their current guinea pigs in case this is something contagious.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
If you recently got him, have you contacted the pet store? Many pet stores offer a health guarantee for 14 days. At the very least, they should help you diagnose and treat him, and also check their current guinea pigs in case this is something contagious.

Do this. If it's a chain like petsmart or petco, they will treat the pig. At Petsmart, the pig is treated in store til it's better. Pigs with issues like this are far too common because the suppliers suck. We see a lot of sick animals come in where I work. Ringworm is really common in our pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.