0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Question Possible dental problem?

Hello there.

I have noticed recentley within the last 2 days one of my guinea pigs, Pete has started to drop veg a lot when he's eating compared to his brother Rusty who doesn't, he also seems to move his head side to side when he eats however it's like he does want to eat but struggles too. He is able to eat kale though without struggiling. I have also noticed he leaves carrots and courgette which he used to eat these. i've tried to check his teeth but he doesn't like it so won't let me. he's only around almost 4 months. I also think he's been eating less than ussual as he didn't gain as much weight as last time but this may just be due to growing. Does this sound like a dental issue and if so i guess it needs to be dealt at the vet?

27/10= 360g
    4/11= 445g
    11/11 496g

those have been his weights so far.
    Last edited by Gunieapiglover; 11-11-21 at 07:54 am.

Mentioned
    2124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4127 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,572 Rec'd/6,054 Posts

Re: Possible dental problem?

Sounds like he's eating enough, but I'd have a vet with dental experience check his teeth. You can't do it yourself, because you can't see the molars well enough. And he may need dental x-rays.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Sounds like he's eating enough, but I'd have a vet with dental experience check his teeth. You can't do it yourself, because you can't see the molars well enough. And he may need dental x-rays.
    Thanks, how do you know if a vet has dental experience? as i've got vets nearby but don't know if there experienced and if it's a far distance i don't drive.

Mentioned
    2124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4127 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,572 Rec'd/6,054 Posts

You call and ask. Or look at their website. You need an exotic vet, not a small animal vet -- they specialize in dogs and cats, not pocket pets. Don't waste your money on small animal vets for guinea pig care.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Careless Re: Possible dental problem?

Unfortunately Iíve looked at the websites and none of them look like exotic vets. Any of the ones that are require you to drive as there not reachebale another way or thereís no appointments till December.

To further the issue, I was able to check his incisors earlier and the bottom ones look way shorter and not very long, (shouldnít the bottom ones usually be the longest? compared to the top incisors. Unfortunately I know your not in England due to your location being Houston. but if anyone else reading this knows any exotic vets in Berkshire (if you need to know which area within in Berkshire, let me know and Iíll say without giving exact location)

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    973 Rec'd/754 Posts

I know there are some members on this forum from the U.K. and other parts of the world, but I think you should also join here https://www.guinealynx.info/

That site has a lot of members both there and here, but that forum is based primarily in England. I think that would be a much better resource for you as far as finding a vet, and other resources that would be U.K. based. This forum tends to be more North American in nature.

Mentioned
    2124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4127 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,572 Rec'd/6,054 Posts

Actually, @Guinea Pig Papa, GL is based here in the U.S. -- the site owner is in Virginia. There are UK members there, but none are active at the moment. However, some of them may be reachable through the forum mailer.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    973 Rec'd/754 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Actually, @Guinea Pig Papa, GL is based here in the U.S. -- the site owner is in Virginia. There are UK members there, but none are active at the moment. However, some of them may be reachable through the forum mailer.
    My mistake. Every time I read something there it's almost always a UK member.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    My mistake. Every time I read something there it's almost always a UK member.

Thanks for trying you two, but that's not really any help since there's no UK members active according to @bpatters

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    96 Rec'd/79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gunieapiglover View Post
    Thanks for trying you two, but that's not really any help since there's no UK members active according to @bpatters

Have you not been to https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/ yet? That site is very active.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    973 Rec'd/754 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4boipigs View Post
    Have you not been to https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/ yet? That site is very active.
    I had completely forgotten about that one

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/15 Posts

Where abouts in the U.K. are you??
    there is a fantastic guinea pig dental vet in Northampton called ‘cat and rabbit clinic’
    they have saved my guinea pigs life, I was told by another vet she wouldn’t survive and very nearly put her down, but she is doing better every week now! X

User Tag List