Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Possible dental problem?

Gunieapiglover

Cavy Slave
Hello there.

I have noticed recentley within the last 2 days one of my guinea pigs, Pete has started to drop veg a lot when he's eating compared to his brother Rusty who doesn't, he also seems to move his head side to side when he eats however it's like he does want to eat but struggles too. He is able to eat kale though without struggiling. I have also noticed he leaves carrots and courgette which he used to eat these. i've tried to check his teeth but he doesn't like it so won't let me. he's only around almost 4 months. I also think he's been eating less than ussual as he didn't gain as much weight as last time but this may just be due to growing. Does this sound like a dental issue and if so i guess it needs to be dealt at the vet?

27/10= 360g
4/11= 445g
11/11 496g

those have been his weights so far.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like he's eating enough, but I'd have a vet with dental experience check his teeth. You can't do it yourself, because you can't see the molars well enough. And he may need dental x-rays.

Gunieapiglover

Cavy Slave
Sounds like he's eating enough, but I'd have a vet with dental experience check his teeth. You can't do it yourself, because you can't see the molars well enough. And he may need dental x-rays.

Thanks, how do you know if a vet has dental experience? as i've got vets nearby but don't know if there experienced and if it's a far distance i don't drive.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You call and ask. Or look at their website. You need an exotic vet, not a small animal vet -- they specialize in dogs and cats, not pocket pets. Don't waste your money on small animal vets for guinea pig care.

Gunieapiglover

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately I’ve looked at the websites and none of them look like exotic vets. Any of the ones that are require you to drive as there not reachebale another way or there’s no appointments till December.

To further the issue, I was able to check his incisors earlier and the bottom ones look way shorter and not very long, (shouldn’t the bottom ones usually be the longest? compared to the top incisors. Unfortunately I know your not in England due to your location being Houston. but if anyone else reading this knows any exotic vets in Berkshire (if you need to know which area within in Berkshire, let me know and I’ll say without giving exact location)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I know there are some members on this forum from the U.K. and other parts of the world, but I think you should also join here https://www.guinealynx.info/

That site has a lot of members both there and here, but that forum is based primarily in England. I think that would be a much better resource for you as far as finding a vet, and other resources that would be U.K. based. This forum tends to be more North American in nature.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, @Guinea Pig Papa, GL is based here in the U.S. -- the site owner is in Virginia. There are UK members there, but none are active at the moment. However, some of them may be reachable through the forum mailer.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, @Guinea Pig Papa, GL is based here in the U.S. -- the site owner is in Virginia. There are UK members there, but none are active at the moment. However, some of them may be reachable through the forum mailer.

My mistake. Every time I read something there it's almost always a UK member.

Gunieapiglover

Cavy Slave
My mistake. Every time I read something there it's almost always a UK member.

Thanks for trying you two, but that's not really any help since there's no UK members active according to @bpatters

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
Where abouts in the U.K. are you??
there is a fantastic guinea pig dental vet in Northampton called ‘cat and rabbit clinic’
they have saved my guinea pigs life, I was told by another vet she wouldn’t survive and very nearly put her down, but she is doing better every week now! X

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.