Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements How to use benebac powder.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Nothing is wrong with Bella, except doesn't drink water on her own no matter what I do/use. 4 mo now. Plus she's on and off with everything. I sprinkled an included spoonful a couple times. Waiting to see if she'll still eat pellets. Gel form was very difficult for us both. Is it true this can be given daily to help stimulate appetite and you can't overdose it...not that I would put a lot. TIA!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why are you giving Benebac to make her drink water? It's a probiotic designed to aid digestion and calm down the digestive tract, and really has nothing to do with drinking.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Why are you giving Benebac to make her drink water? It's a probiotic designed to aid digestion and calm down the digestive tract, and really has nothing to do with drinking.

It's to hopefully get her to eat more too. At times she's not a big fan of eating but she checks out ok.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Is Bella underweight? Whenever I get a foster animal that won't eat vegetables, I like to mix veggies with things that they like such as guinea pig pellets. Then I slowly wean them off and mix less and less pellets or treats in until they eat the vegetables alone. I don't know if you've already tried that.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Is Bella underweight? Whenever I get a foster animal that won't eat vegetables, I like to mix veggies with things that they like such as guinea pig pellets. Then I slowly wean them off and mix less and less pellets or treats in until they eat the vegetables alone. I don't know if you've already tried that.
She isn't losing much weight actually probably gains some more. I hold back on the ones she currently hates thinking she's sick of it. She's difficult this way. Their treats are wheatgrass. I don't buy manufactured treats even if ok. I prefer fresh for them.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I read somewhere that as a rule, young guinea pigs don't like a variety of food. Mine is maybe 6 months, and she isn't fond of variety either. The most important thing is that she eats enough hay, and either pellets or some other nutritious food like a supplement of Critical Care, to make sure she gets the nutrients she needs. In addition, vitamin C is important, and at her age, a little extra calcium which could come from dark green leafy veggies, alfalfa, or young guinea pig pellets.

As far as drinking water, I'm assuming you've tried a water saucer or cup that's heavy so it can't be tipped, or a smaller size water bottle that she can get her mouth around. The other option is to give leafy veggies dipped in water, or draped over the side of a water saucer.

You should be able to tell if she's eating enough by tracking her weight and by her output. At her age she should gradually increase in weight, but I've noticed with mine she stays about the same for a few days, maybe drops a few grams one day, then gains a few grams. The trend should continue to show an increase overall.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.