0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

New mate for old boy

Hi guys,

I have a 5 and a half year old boy who has just lost his mate, also a boy. I need to get him a pal so he's not lonely. I don't want a girl, I don't want babies!.

What is the best way to introduce a new boy or boys? I was thinking of getting a couple young guys, so when Stanley passes on the guys left behind is not on his own.

My cage is a 6 x 4 C&C cage

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/146 Posts

Re: New mate for old boy

I think most people will tell you 2 males together can work well, but more than 2 will likely become a fight club. Also, a young boy who will go through adolescence may not be the best for an older guy. When the young one hits his teens and the hormones kick in, he could become a bully, making the older guy miserable. I would look for a male that is older, maybe around 2. And it would be nice if there was a rescue that would work with you on a meet and greet to get a feel for how they react to each other.

Mentioned
    2124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4129 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,573 Rec'd/6,055 Posts

You can't put three males together -- it fails 99.9% of the time.

If you can find a local rescue or shelter that will let you bring him in, it would be best to let him pick out his new buddy. Or maybe you could find a spayed female -- that pairing would almost certainly work.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Thanks guys noted that three males won't work. I will check out a shelter and see how I go

Thanks so much

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

If I am not able to find a suitable mate what is the best way to keep him happy on his own in the meantime?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/146 Posts

Mental stimulation helps. I have always moved the hideys and rearranged the cage each day because guinea pigs memorize escape routes. So mine will walk through all the possible combinations of escape, and then take a run.

I also have a snuffle mat which is a piece of fleece with fringes sewn on top. I hide veggies in it and she has to forage for them. I put pellets in treat balls so she has to walk around and roll the ball. And Iím home all day so Iím talking to her, giving her a treat, and we have a little snuggle time a few times each day.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    96 Rec'd/79 Posts

I've had good experiences pairing my older boars with younger boars. My eldest (estimated to be 6 or 7) was paired with a 2 yr old and they did great together. When my old boar died, I then got a baby for the now-3 yr old. It's easiest if you can find a shelter that will let you do a meet and greet, or a guinea pig rescue that does boar dating. I've done both, but with the shelter they wanted me out so I did a short experiment to see how the two would react and then finished bonding at home.

I know nothing about Australia, but I'm sure there's plenty of gpigs in shelters there just like in the USA so finding a friend should be easy.

User Tag List