Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Damp under fleece?

palmedfire

Cavy Slave
Recently when I’ve removed the kitchen area of my boys’ cage, it’s really damp under there, extending a bit under the fleece pad as well. I can’t figure out where it’s coming from. I don’t think it’s pee since it has no scent, so the only thing I can think of is it’s the water bottle somehow, but I just got a new, non leaking one!

any ideas would be appreciated, I’m worried for my boys, since I know damp isn’t good for them

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Is it one of those plastic kitchen inserts from this site?

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Maybe it could be the condensation from the pee/water in the cage. You could try putting paper towels or fleece under there to wick up the moisture.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave

When I had a kitchen (not sure if it came from this site because I bought it second hand), I had this issue too from what I remember. I used to spray/wipe down the coroplast when changing fleece. I figured the wetness was from my not drying it enough. After removing the kitchen (didn't like the pigs having to leap over the edge of the kitchen), I never had this issue again.

palmedfire

Cavy Slave
So, update! I think it was an issue with the water bottle, because I move it so that it was attached on the inside of the cage and not on the outside (with the nozzle through the bars), and haven't had water issues since.
I think when my boys were drinking, water was dribbling out and between the cage and the kitchen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.