Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General My guinea pig upper front teeth kinda thick

Thienvu220801

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig upper front teeth kinda thick, is that normal? Cuz i can't find any information or related problem for that. Thank you Screenshot_20211105-151536_Gallery.jpg

Thienvu220801

Cavy Slave
He has no problem in eating, but there is some weird sound he make from his teeth, thank you btw

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I am hoping we can help you figure out what is happening so we can assist you in problem solving the issue that is causing the tooth issues.

I realized you posted recently regarding another of your guinea pigs who sadly passed (I am sorry for your loss) recently due to broken teeth in this thread https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...rs-and-hours?p=1026675&highlight=#post1026675

What food do they get and how often? (Hay? Fresh veggies? Brand/type of pellets?)

My thinking here is possibly C deficiency.

So no judgements...but let's see if we can figure out what is happening so we help.

Thienvu220801

Cavy Slave
The one that just died recently is a male one that lived for 4 month, this is a female, it is almost 1 year old, about 500gr, i feed her compressed alfa hay, multi vitamin oxbow (not every day), other dried vegetables. You probably right, maybe C deficiency, also there are no other problems in general. Thank you

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
The one that just died recently is a male one that lived for 4 month, this is a female, it is almost 1 year old, about 500gr, i feed her compressed alfa hay, multi vitamin oxbow (not every day), other dried vegetables. You probably right, maybe C deficiency, also there are no other problems in general. Thank you

You need to provide your guinea pig with good quality hay, not alfalfa, for your almost 1 year old female. Timothy and orchard hays are good choices. I can't see her being able to even eat compressed hard hay with her teeth missing like that.

You need to provide your guinea pig with 1 cup of fresh veggies a day. This should include green leaf lettuce and green pepper (which is high in vitamin C), and a variety of other safe vegetables. Fruits should be given sparingly because of their high sugar content.

There is a fantastic chart that has been posted to this site multiple times. I will find it and post if someone doesn't get to it before me. In the meantime, please read through this forum for information regarding proper feeding of your guinea pig.

What type of oxbow pellets are you feeding? They need more than the multivitamin treats. You should be feeding oxbow essentials adult guinea pig pellets or KMS is another great brand.

Please start the fresh veggies and hay today. An almost 1 year old guinea pig should weigh more than 500 grams. She needs her diet improved ASAP.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
I’m just looking at the picture, is that a bald spot on her chin? Also, I totally agree with @Smileandnod , it could be a vitamin c deficiency.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.