Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Maple Leaf's skin troubles

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Continuing from https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/124966-Guidance-on-type-of-new-brother-to-adopt

We went to the vet this morning. Maple Leaf was SUCH a good boy. He was very scared but he was still for the vet and let her examine him. We started with a Woods lamp. Ironically the big patch under his eye didn't glow, but his lips and nose did! I had no idea he was having issues there. I now have enough medication to treat him and Gimbly - itrafungol (oral) and a medicated dry shampoo (the bottle says mousse but its more like one of those waterless shampoos). He's going to have to be treated with the meds for the next six weeks...

He weighed 515 grams, and I completely forgot the vet to estimate his age. One chart online says that'd make him between 8 and 10 weeks, but idk.

I decided to cancel my appt with the shelter to test for ringworm, but I'll tell him he was diagnosed. I'd like to put this problem behind me and move on with enjoying my first ever baby pig.

Would anyone know of any pet-safe antifungal cleaners for their cage? I can get the same stuff we use at work, but I'd like to not pay $25 for it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Glad you got a diagnosis!

From what I understand, vinegar is effective at killing just about anything you could find in the cage, including bacteria and fungus.

As I said, just by looking at his head and body structure, and the length of his nails (also his size compared to Gimbly's) I figured he wasn't more than 8-10 weeks. Punkin weighed 525 grams at the 7 week mark, and Scooter was around the same at the 8 week mark.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I hope it all ends easily...I have to keep everything clean, wash my hands, wear gloves, etc. Maple Leaf is of course a nervous baby so it isn't easy getting him out of the cage. He won't take food from me and he won't try to steal the medication syringe like Gimbly and Little Bear. Luckily he doesn't really struggle once he's in my lap and I can give him the med. I hope he will get used to it.

I do feel bad for him. :( Who knows what life was like before the shelter (all I know is he was 'seized')...then he ends up in a little cage with two other boys...now he's safe with me but he's just a baby with worse ringworm than expected.

I hate having to deal with this. I was hoping Little Bear's eye would be the last of my pig troubles. But Maple Leaf is my baby now and I knew I wanted him the second I saw his picture.

20211104_083219.jpg

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am sorry you, and Maple and Gimbly have to go through this. And to an extend so do Chico and Amigo.

What I do know is that you will do whatever it takes to make Maple well. And I also know once he IS well, he's going to have a great life with you.

It's very unfortunate that you have to go through another 6 weeks of trials and tribulation. Maple will thank you for it. He doesn't know yet, just how lucky he is.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
That red area I posted on the other thread burst or something today. Idk if I accidentally messed with it during the waterless shampoo yesterday, or maybe Maple Leaf chewed it open. It was a big scab, and now it's a wet red area. I noticed it because I saw some bloody fur on the area. I think the latter happened because I keep seeing him trying to chew/itch that side. But he seems all right and he's feeling well enough to take a quick snooze out in the open.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pig Papa is right about vinegar - it kills mold.

Hydrogen peroxide 3% solution also kills mold. Just put it in a spray bottle, spray the surface and let it stand for 10 minutes. Then just wipe clean.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
20211106_185725.jpg

I'm thinking he scratched open his face this (blood under eye) and its spreading on his nose. I read how itrafungol has a great success rate but I'm still concerned. The other bloody spot from yesterday looked better. He was crying when I tried to give him meds this morning.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
All seems to going well after the first week of itrafungol. The ringworm has stopped spreading and some of the scabs look better. On his chin, he had some very thick scabs that I think were hurting.

Maple Leaf is feeling a bit more confident and trying to take food from me, but is still pretty shy around me.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Oh good, I'm glad his skin is improving!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Does anyone know how long it should take his hair to regrow? The areas that were scabby and bloody are now just normal bald skin (aside from a bit of scabs on his chin). You can't visibly see the bald spots, except under his eye. I started week three of their itrafungol today. I'll need to schedule his follow up for a few weeks out to make sure the ringworm is gone.

Surprisingly, no one else in the house (me, pigs, other pets) have got it from him.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
260149367_4554397574646441_8258360646203130676_n.jpg

Here's a before and after. I just did his waterless shampoo so he looks wet in the 2nd pic.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wow, he looks so much better! Good job on treating him, and the rest!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Maple Leaf's bigger bald spots are starting to fill in. He is still itchy. He has a bit of a cough too, but I'm not sure if that's related to the meds since Gimbly doesn't have a cough. We finish the itrafungol this week.

Maple Leaf is getting more comfortable around me and starting to come to the side of the cage for food. He gets very excited when it's time for hay or snacks...he will start wheeking and he runs around the cage popcorning. It's so funny/cute because no one else reacts like that. He just launches himself into the air like he couldn't be any happier. I'm still not able to easily pick him up, but I hope to somehow defeat that. None of the other pigs like being picked up either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.