Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    595 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    965 Rec'd/748 Posts

KMS Bluegrass hay

Would any of you happen to have a picture of KMS Bluegrass hay? I just made my first order, 10lbs. It wasn't exactly cheap to get it here in Canada.

The reason I ask is because I opened the bag, and it looks just like Western Timothy. Seed heads and everything and even looks like a bit of corn husk in it. Which is exactly what I was trying to get away from. It was compressed into two blocks, and when I separated it, it was very dusty.

Very disappointed to say the least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Re: KMS Bluegrass hay

The hay used to look like the lush green photo. The hay is now like you describe. My order was terrible from June and many other customers. The customer service is terrible.

3. "Thank you, AlphaDox, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    595 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    965 Rec'd/748 Posts

I've already initiated a return. I've already ordered a few bags of orchard grass hay. They seem to like that already anyway.

Mentioned
    2123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,560 Rec'd/6,042 Posts

You may not see any improvement. All of the Pacific northwest is suffering from drought and fires, and it's a terrible hay season for the whole area. You might want to see if you can find some from another geographic area.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    595 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    965 Rec'd/748 Posts

Not sure where the orchard grass I've been getting through Oxbow is from geographically, but it's been soft and green and perfect.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    57 Rec'd/55 Posts

The last time I bought KMS Bluegrass was Nov 2020 and it was terrible. The outside layer looked good but once you get past the outside, the inside was brown and very dusty. I think I still have a small portion left that I had plan to sift through and try to use if possible. After that experience I switched to Rabbit Hole and then subsequently to GuineaDad, very green but short strands. Except for my initial purchase of timothy, which I discovered I was allergic to, I have always used orchard grass. I might order some from Oxbow to see if I am as lucky as @Guinea Pig Papa.

I have been buying the 15 oz Oxbow botanical hay to mix in with the orchard grass and the piggies love that. However botanical turned out to be timothy hay with herbs added in and it triggered my allergies, subsequently ending in a sinus infection. I've also bought Oxbow meadow hay as another topper and it also was poor quality, with every 3rd strand being brown. I also have that sitting in the hallway to sift through. This is definitely not a good hay year.
    Last edited by SSLee; 10-12-21 at 10:24 am.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    343 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    576 Rec'd/445 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SSLee View Post
    The last time I bought KMS Bluegrass was Nov 2020 and it was terrible. The outside layer looked good but once you get past the outside, the inside was brown and very dusty. I think I still have a small portion left that I had plan to sift through and try to use if possible. After that experience I switched to Rabbit Hole and then subsequently to GuineaDad, very green but short strands. Except for my initial purchase of timothy, which I discovered I was allergic to, I have always used orchard grass. I might order some from Oxbow to see if I am as lucky as @Guinea Pig Papa.
    I just have trouble paying 36$ for a total of 9lbs hay that is in those hay feeder boxes. I don't use hay racks where it's edible as mine chomp more on that than on hay or one they can sit in. I've asked if they could just sell the hay. Basically you are losing a lb of hay for the box with that price as compared to kms and sps.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    57 Rec'd/55 Posts

That is true the corrugated box is part of the 3 lb. However, because there are less brown hay than other brands I've bought, it somewhat offsets the weight of the box and their hay isn't dusty. I'm kind of OCD about the brown hay and try to pick out as much as I can before giving to the piggies. The short strands do make it harder to pick out and there are some crumbs too small for the pigs to eat. I'm thinking about buying some Oxbow orchard to mix in with the GuineaDad ones as @Guinea Pig Papa is having good luck with Oxbow.

Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    785 Rec'd/680 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    I just have trouble paying 36$ for a total of 9lbs hay that is in those hay feeder boxes. I don't use hay racks where it's edible as mine chomp more on that than on hay or one they can sit in. I've asked if they could just sell the hay. Basically you are losing a lb of hay for the box with that price as compared to kms and sps.
    I feel the same way. I never use the cardboard boxes, I just take the hay out of the boxes and store it in a rubbermaid container and just put the amount that I need in their kitchen area. I did ask them if they might consider just selling their hay in plastic bags. They responded by saying that they have considered that for the future but not at the present time.

11. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List