Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Cedar rings against moths near guinea pigs?

WizenedCheese

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

I fear I have a case of either pantry moths or clothes moths. Not a very intense infestation, I see maybe one moth a day but it still bothers me. I bought a 'natural' moth deterrent kit, one without strong chemicals in it. It comes with bags of lavender, pheromone traps and cedar rings. For those of you that maybe don't know, these are little rings of cedar wood that you can hang on coathangers or put in drawers or food cabinets. Moths are supposed to hate the scent.
Now I know cedar is not good for guinea pigs as bedding. The moth infestation seems to only be in my bedroom, which is where the guinea pigs are too. Will it be safe at all to place like one or two rings in the room (since I don't know exactly where the moths are breeding)? Will it be any better to place them in drawers or my wardrobe, since the scent won't spread as much? Or should I just stay away from them completely and only use the lavender bags? (I haven't been able to find things saying lavender is bad for guinea pigs in this form, but if any of you know more that'd be nice too).

I'd appreciate any answers or insights :eek:

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Hmmm. Lavender is totally ok for guinea pigs. I’m pretty sure people feed them lavender for the calming affect, so I’m assuming that the lavender bags are safe for them.

About the cedar rings. The reason why cedar bedding is not good for guinea pigs is because of the toxic fumes. Do the rings smell really strongly? Like, can you smell it from the guinea pig cage? If you can, then you might want to use just the lavender or move the guinea pig cage farther from the cedar rings. If you can’t smell the cedar, then I would say that it’s ok to have around your piggies as long as they don’t eat the cedar or get too close for too long.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If the cedar rings are in your closet and/or drawers, they won't affect the pigs. That's totally unlike living with your nose half an inch from cedar shavings 100% of the time.

WizenedCheese

Cavy Slave
Thank you for replying!! I can't smell the rings unless I get my face close to them, so I suppose the piggies won't smell them either!!

WizenedCheese

Cavy Slave
That's totally unlike living with your nose half an inch from cedar shavings 100% of the time.

Hahah, you're right. I've kept the rings in my wardrobe and used the lavender bags in the room itself, just to be sure

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.