Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Three recently adopted females possibly pregnant

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
Long story short, my 12 year old female GP recently passed leaving my 6 year old female alone. I started looking for 1-2 females to put next to Honey, my lonely girl. I noticed my local animal shelter had many, MANY guinea pigs so I went and looked.

I came home with three females: Hocus, Pocus, and Boo. Hocus and Pocus are estimated to be about 9 months old and are likely littermates. Boo is younger, possibly 4-6 months, but probably related. The shelter (an open intake, county facility) did not vet them in any way other than to determine gender. They also don't microchip or spay/neuter any intakes other than dogs and cats.

I assumed that they had at least a rudimentary health check because they came from a hoarding situation. Nope. I got them on the same day they were surrendered, which I didn't know until I read the fine details in their paperwork. These girls were part of a large hoard of 100's of loose guinea pigs kept in a house. About 25+ were sent to the shelter where I adopted them. Others went to other shelters.

So...they might be pregnant. I'm here to learn. My recently departed female was part of an accidental pregnancy 12+ years ago. I kept the parents (2F and 1M) and the offspring (4F and 2M) for their entire lives without another pregnancy. So my prenatal knowledge is very rusty.

Since they came into the shelter on the same day I adopted them; I'm counting the days and watching for signs. They are currently separated from my 6 year old.

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
Pictures for tax!

Note: I don't keep them in an aquarium. This was just to show them to someone and to take a couple of pictures.

Hocus in the back with a reflection of herself
Pocus fore on the right
Boo fore on the left
GP 2 (1).jpg

Hocus back, Pocus middle, Boo fore/bottom
GP 2 (2).jpg

Hocus to the left, Pocus top right, Boo bottom right
GP 3.jpg

Hocus behind Boo in on left; Boo on left (with hand petting); Pocus on right.
GP 4.jpg

Topside picture of Hocus:

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
They are beautiful piggies. Poor little things living in such deplorable conditions. Thank you so much for taking them in. I love their names.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What cuties! I love abbys.

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
Should I stick to the adult formulation of pellets or should I switch them to the juvenile? They are all a good weight, but if pregnant they might be masking some thinness/lack of nutrition with pregnancy weight.

Right now they are all eating a lot. Even if I triple, quadruple, or feed even 5-6 times the amount I'm giving my older, single GP they are still eating it all and crying for more. That's pellets, hay, and greens.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pregnant and nursing sows should get alfalfa pellets -- they need the extra calcium, since the pups will take a huge percentage of it.

Feed them all the pellets and hay they want, along with some good fresh veggies (peppers, red or green leaf lettuce, etc), and a vitamin C supplement.

There's no need to separate them when the pups come, but do keep a close eye on them. You'll need LOTS of room when the pups arrive, else the pups may get their ears gnawed.

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
I'll pick up some alfalfa pellets for them. I'll know soon enough whether or not they are pregnant and will switch back if they aren't.

The cage right now is 4X2 CC. I have the ability to double the length in an "L" configuration, I'll just need to pick up some more coroplast. Will that suffice? My other option would be to move Honey (my single older female); then the pregnant girls can have an 8x2 that is straight. The L shape might offer more privacy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They don't care about privacy, and you don't need to move Honey -- guinea pig sows generally make great aunties.

But 4x2 is NOT big enough for three guinea pig, much less with pups coming. You need to enlarge it whether they're pregnant or not, but definitely before the pups come.

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
Well Pocus (the abby) had two babies last night. One is a partial abby (is that a thing?) and the other is smooth coated. She wasn't very big at all, but I did suspect she was pregnant. I was surprised to see the littles this morning. I haven't handled them yet. I wanted to give them, Mommy Pocus and the two aunties time to settle down as they were all highly exited all day long.

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
The babies can fit through the grids and they are visiting the unrelated older female (Honey). She's not harming them and seems to enjoy having them.

My question regarding Honey: is there an age limit where sows can no longer conceive? I ask because I'm wondering if any male babies can go in with her upon weaning? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Under no circumstances should the male pups be allowed with any female unless the female is spayed, once they have reached 3 weeks of age.

I don't believe there is an age limit per se, but there IS an age limit as to when a sow SHOULD become pregnant. After that, pregnancy and delivery become extremely difficult for the sow due to stiffening of the joints and ligaments, among other reasons. This difficulty can be life threatening for the sow, and the unborn pups.

You need to line the inside of the cage with coroplast, or even cardboard at least 6 inches high. Your babies will VERY quickly reach a size that they can get stuck in the grids, and that can be fatal. Do not allow the babies to freely squeeze through the grids.

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
Noted. Thanks for the quick reply and explanation.

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
Access to Honey has been blocked with a piece of coroplast. Honey now seems distraught, but hopefully I can take it down after the babes are too big to fit through the grids.

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
I need help problem solving this dilemma. I did an initial gender check on all my guinea pigs including Honey, my 6-7 year old singleton, Honey. I think Honey is actually a male. I think one of Pocus' babies is a male. Hocus and Boo are definitely female and both look pregnant; both have hair falling away from their lower nipples. Will the Pocus' babies nurse on them? Would that cause them to drop milk even if not pregnant?

My dilemma: I only have one baby boy plus my non-related adult male. When it comes time to separate my male pup, where do I put him? He's going to be alone until I get another male pup. That's going to be a lonely existence. Can I put him with Honey even though Honey is a non-related older male? Before I blocked access, both babies were going through the cage bars into Honey's portion of the cage.

FYI, I in addition to a 10" piece of coroplast zip tied between the cage partition; I also put a grid roof over the adjoining wall between Honey and the Mommies to prevent future impregnations. Honey lived side by side with my 12 year old female (deceased now) and never attempted to breech the wall to impregnate her. They lived side by side for about 3.5 years.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Yes Pocus's babies will likely nurse on the other sows when they have milk, if the other sows let them (if they don't want them to they will just chase them away). However they won't be able to do that if they don't have milk, and guinea pigs don't usually get their milk in until a day after giving birth. It isn't possible for them to drop milk if they are not pregnant, or to drop milk earlier then they would with no extra babies in the cage even if they are pregnant.

Tripple check that Honey is 100% a male, feel for a firm line under the skin just above the genitalia. Guinea pigs have a bone in their penis so this is very easy to feel, if you push your finger down on the point where the line is furthest away from the genitals then roll your finger down it is possible to expose the penis. If you do have a male it is useful to learn how to expose the penis because sometimes they get hair or other debris stuck around the penis that you may need to clean off. You have females to compare to as well if you are not sure what you are feeling for.

If Honey is a male for certain there is no reason the baby boars can't go in with him at first. It can't be a long term arrangement unless there is only one male pup, as having more than a pair of boars together long term is a really bad idea. However for the initial separation and weaning it will be good to put the pups with him.

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
Hocus would like to introduce her two babies, born today and exactly one month after Pocus gave birth. They are both blonde and white Abbys, like their auntie Pocus. These two are much bigger than Pocus' two. Hocus had a solid 6 weeks of good nutrition whereas Pocus had hers about a week after I got them.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Congratulations! They are absolutely adorable! Nothing more precious than baby piggies!

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
They are super cute and very robust. Mama seems a bit aloof so far, but I totally interrupted her right after birth because I didn't know they were born. I cleaned half of their cage earlier in the day and went to clean the 2nd half and there they were.

Pocus (first one to give birth) had a boy and a girl; I'm hoping these two are the same. I have one home lined up for a pair; and a possible 2nd home if I have another pair.

Best scenario would be a boy and a girl
Okay scenario would be two girls
Least favorable scenario would be two boys

Any "left over" girls would just stay in the cage with the mommies/aunties. A left-over boy would probably wind up being re-homed as a singleton if I couldn't convince someone to take a trio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.