Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the forum but not to guinea pigs

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
Hey Y'all,

I just recently lost my nearly 12 year old guinea pig. She was the last of a family of 8. About 12-13 years ago, I adopted a young father and son duo and the father promptly died in a tragic drowning accident. I went to my local shelter and adopted a pair of young brothers. Turns out I adopted a pair of young sisters... They both had babies and I raised the males and females for the rest of their lives. The three males all died around age six, but the females all lived to about age eight--except for my last girl. She just died at age 11 years and 10 months.

She was solo for more than a year before I adopted a pal for her. They were together for three years. I just adopted three youngsters to keep the pal (Honey) company.

They came from a hoarding situation and all might be pregnant. I joined this forum to learn more about GP pregnancy as it's been 12-ish years since I've last dealt with the possibility.

Note: None are kept in the aquarium. That was for photos only. They all live in a giant 10x2 CC cage--I have room and materials to expand it another several feet to make an L-shaped cage.

So here are my current girls:
Honey, aged 6-ish:

Hocus, age 9 months:

Pocus, in front, age 9 months and likely a littermate to Hocus (in back, facing camera):

and Boo. She's younger (6 mos) and smaller but likely related to Hocus and Pocus:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you have plenty of stories to tell! Thank you so much for the pigtures, we really do love them here.

11 years is a fantastic life, and I'm sure it was down to some good genes and your amazing care. I am so sorry for your loss, you already know they steal your heart and leave a giant guinea pig sized hole in your heart when we have to let them go.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
OMG!!! Boo looks JUST like Rosie! cutierosie.jpg

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
Boo sure does look like your sweet Rosie!

The new girls are all incredibly skittish from not being handled. They were part of a group of 20+ unsocialized GP's that were surrendered.

I got Honey as an adult from a nice family who were clueless about GP care. She was so tiny, the size of a small juvenile as a fully mature adult. She lived in a tiny cage and was only fed apples her entire life. They just tossed a whole apple into the cage and gave her another whenever the previous one rotted or was eaten. I got her into a 2x4 section of my CC cage and added Oxbow adult pellets, timothy hay and leafy greens to her diet. I kept the apples temporarily in her diet for several weeks until I was sure she was eating the other foods. She grew and gained weight like crazy. She literally tripled her size as a three year old. Her fur grew longer and softer and I noticed that she isn't pure white. She has some very, very light tan patches amongst the white.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.