Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Tunnel recomendations

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Wondering if anyone has recommendations for good tunnels? I bought my boys new Oxbow timothy hay tunnels. I've used the tunnels since I got the boys in 2020, and they love them. However, Chico has chewed on the tunnels to the point where they unravel. He did this to a brand new tunnel I got him, and I had to pitch it. We also have one of these twig ones from Petsmart, but Chico chewed that apart also. Another option is the Kaytee chewbular tunnels. I have one for my hamster however I'm not sure if it's a good idea for pigs with the colored paper.

Does anyone recommend a different brand/type? I'm thinking of getting fleece tunnels. I know I can buy them on Etsy, but I'm looking to not spend a lot of money. They're also on Amazon but there's so many knock off sellers or too-small tunnels.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Update...I rolled up some of their kitchen pee pads and clipped it to the side of the coroplast. I put the chewed up tunnel in there to keep the shape. It's twice as long as the Oxbow tunnels. Chico absolutely loves it and is sleeping in there.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
A solution that I have used successfully for quite some time is a bent grid covered with an extra large stretchable book cover. Since it's school time, you can find the covers almost anywhere. I tend to buy mine in the Spring when stores are discounting them, mainly Walmart. The easiest way to bend the grid is to step on it with a pair of sturdy shoes and bend it up. You can also do this by bending it around a 2x4. Search for pics in the Forum archives.
I'm attaching some pics for illustration. You can simply wash the cover or replace it if it is tattered. Tunnel.jpg Tunnel2.jpg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
The grid tunnels work great. I sewed several covers for mine so I have different colors.

Another option I use are the stack and nest storage bins from Dollar Tree. Flip them over and they make great tunnels. They’re light enough for your guinea pig to rearrange. https://www.dollartree.com/stack-nest-plastic-bins/987224

I just recently bought a white wire cupboard shelf and covered it with fleece. That seems to be pretty popular with my little Gidget. She loves to sleep there and she can enter and exit on the sides. I took the little rubber feet off in case she decided to chew.

E3FFCBE0-F540-424A-B207-BD99F61911ED.jpg

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
A solution that I have used successfully for quite some time is a bent grid covered with an extra large stretchable book cover. Since it's school time, you can find the covers almost anywhere. I tend to buy mine in the Spring when stores are discounting them, mainly Walmart. The easiest way to bend the grid is to step on it with a pair of sturdy shoes and bend it up. You can also do this by bending it around a 2x4. Search for pics in the Forum archives.
I'm attaching some pics for illustration. You can simply wash the cover or replace it if it is tattered. View attachment 88063 View attachment 88064

I decided to do this but went to Dollar Tree instead since I was feeling lazy. The Dollar Tree ones don't fit over the grids and I wasted $3. Dollar Tree also didn't have any bins, so we'll go to Walmart everntually

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Every pig I ever had absolutely LOVED these tunnels: (broken link removed)

They're big enough to move around in, open at both ends, and best of all, they can be moved all over the cage. By the pigs. It was so fun to watch these plastic tunnels moving apparently by themselves.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave

They're big enough to move around in, open at both ends, and best of all, they can be moved all over the cage. By the pigs. It was so fun to watch these plastic tunnels moving apparently by themselves.

I found it on Amazon so I ordered one.

I gave the boys the last Oxbow tunnel and Chico started to chew on it immediately. Hopefully he will leave plastic alone.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The plastic is really tough. My pigs tried to nibble them, but they didn't get anywhere with it.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I wish I knew about these before. I would have got them instead of the Oxbow ones. It's huge and they both love it. I'll be ordering more.

Idk why my phone uploads upside down but I'm not going to try fixing it rn.

Attachments

20211008_131839.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just bought two of these. :)

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
8951b478851bb69efbf9befc357930ac.0.jpg

I bought more so now everyone has a tunnel. They just love these so much more since they're big. Here is Amigo.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave

You deserve an award for mentioning these. Little Bear is doing laps thru the tunnel. Gimbly is trying to sleep inside it. All the pigs are crazy for these tunnels.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.