Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/74 Posts

Tunnel recomendations

Wondering if anyone has recommendations for good tunnels? I bought my boys new Oxbow timothy hay tunnels. I've used the tunnels since I got the boys in 2020, and they love them. However, Chico has chewed on the tunnels to the point where they unravel. He did this to a brand new tunnel I got him, and I had to pitch it. We also have one of these twig ones from Petsmart, but Chico chewed that apart also. Another option is the Kaytee chewbular tunnels. I have one for my hamster however I'm not sure if it's a good idea for pigs with the colored paper.

Does anyone recommend a different brand/type? I'm thinking of getting fleece tunnels. I know I can buy them on Etsy, but I'm looking to not spend a lot of money. They're also on Amazon but there's so many knock off sellers or too-small tunnels.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/74 Posts

Re: Tunnel recomendations

Update...I rolled up some of their kitchen pee pads and clipped it to the side of the coroplast. I put the chewed up tunnel in there to keep the shape. It's twice as long as the Oxbow tunnels. Chico absolutely loves it and is sleeping in there.

Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1201 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,648 Rec'd/1,355 Posts

A solution that I have used successfully for quite some time is a bent grid covered with an extra large stretchable book cover. Since it's school time, you can find the covers almost anywhere. I tend to buy mine in the Spring when stores are discounting them, mainly Walmart. The easiest way to bend the grid is to step on it with a pair of sturdy shoes and bend it up. You can also do this by bending it around a 2x4. Search for pics in the Forum archives.
    I'm attaching some pics for illustration. You can simply wash the cover or replace it if it is tattered. Name:  Tunnel.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  55.0 KB Name:  Tunnel2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  58.4 KB

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    151 Rec'd/145 Posts

The grid tunnels work great. I sewed several covers for mine so I have different colors.

Another option I use are the stack and nest storage bins from Dollar Tree. Flip them over and they make great tunnels. They’re light enough for your guinea pig to rearrange. https://www.dollartree.com/stack-nes...ic-bins/987224

I just recently bought a white wire cupboard shelf and covered it with fleece. That seems to be pretty popular with my little Gidget. She loves to sleep there and she can enter and exit on the sides. I took the little rubber feet off in case she decided to chew.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E3FFCBE0-F540-424A-B207-BD99F61911ED.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	88065

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    A solution that I have used successfully for quite some time is a bent grid covered with an extra large stretchable book cover. Since it's school time, you can find the covers almost anywhere. I tend to buy mine in the Spring when stores are discounting them, mainly Walmart. The easiest way to bend the grid is to step on it with a pair of sturdy shoes and bend it up. You can also do this by bending it around a 2x4. Search for pics in the Forum archives.
    I'm attaching some pics for illustration. You can simply wash the cover or replace it if it is tattered. Name:  Tunnel.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  55.0 KB Name:  Tunnel2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  58.4 KB

I decided to do this but went to Dollar Tree instead since I was feeling lazy. The Dollar Tree ones don't fit over the grids and I wasted $3. Dollar Tree also didn't have any bins, so we'll go to Walmart everntually

Mentioned
    2123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,563 Rec'd/6,045 Posts

Every pig I ever had absolutely LOVED these tunnels: https://www.chewy.com/lixit-critter-...imal/dp/264627

They're big enough to move around in, open at both ends, and best of all, they can be moved all over the cage. By the pigs. It was so fun to watch these plastic tunnels moving apparently by themselves.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Every pig I ever had absolutely LOVED these tunnels: https://www.chewy.com/lixit-critter-...imal/dp/264627

They're big enough to move around in, open at both ends, and best of all, they can be moved all over the cage. By the pigs. It was so fun to watch these plastic tunnels moving apparently by themselves.
    I found it on Amazon so I ordered one.

I gave the boys the last Oxbow tunnel and Chico started to chew on it immediately. Hopefully he will leave plastic alone.

Mentioned
    2123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,563 Rec'd/6,045 Posts

The plastic is really tough. My pigs tried to nibble them, but they didn't get anywhere with it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/74 Posts

I wish I knew about these before. I would have got them instead of the Oxbow ones. It's huge and they both love it. I'll be ordering more.

Idk why my phone uploads upside down but I'm not going to try fixing it rn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211008_131839.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	88076  

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    595 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    965 Rec'd/748 Posts

Just bought two of these.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/74 Posts

Name:	8951b478851bb69efbf9befc357930ac.0.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	88084

I bought more so now everyone has a tunnel. They just love these so much more since they're big. Here is Amigo.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    595 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    965 Rec'd/748 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4boipigs View Post

Name:	8951b478851bb69efbf9befc357930ac.0.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	88084

I bought more so now everyone has a tunnel. They just love these so much more since they're big. Here is Amigo.
    Great shot showing how big they really are. Mine are supposed to arrive Tuesday!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post

You deserve an award for mentioning these. Little Bear is doing laps thru the tunnel. Gimbly is trying to sleep inside it. All the pigs are crazy for these tunnels.

14. "Thank you, 4boipigs, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List