Thread: My guinea pig suddenly acting so aggressively! Puberty? Help!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Unhappy My guinea pig suddenly acting so aggressively! Puberty? Help!

Both my piggies just turned 3 months old and one of them is acting more aggresively than usually, i think it has been 2-3 days now. He would try to bump other guinea pigs constantly including my boyfriend's baby guinea pigs, they live in a seperated cage but play together when we can watch them (they are all males). He also shows dominance more often for example shaking his butt, rumbling, chasing other guinea pigs in a violent way cuz we can hear other guinea pigs screaming, sometimes he would show a biting posture but he doesnt bite them. He also chatters his teeth alot, he never did it to me before unless i did something that really really annoyed him. he chatters constantly, like when another guinea pig or me come near him, or if i try to lift him up. This is my first time hvaing guinea pigs, and from my research since he is not hurting anywhere, I assumed he is going through puberty(?) can someone help me or correct me if i am wrong and if there is something i can do to help him

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    972 Rec'd/753 Posts

Re: My guinea pig suddenly acting so aggressively! Puberty? Help!

They are all likely going through puberty. And the general rule of thumb for males is no more than two.

Guinea pigs are also hard wired to establish dominance every time they meet a new pig (a new pig is one they don't live with 24/7) so every time you put the together for "play time" the dominance struggle starts anew.

What you should do, is get one more male pig and introduce him to the one who lives alone. Also ensure that you have plenty of space, as male pigs require more to live in harmony.

Basically what I'm saying is, leave the two that live together, together. Don't put the single pig together with them again, and get him a buddy of his own.

Putting them together constantly like that is risking serious injury to one or more pigs, and can result in pigs who won't live with any other ever again.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Hi thanks for your reply, both of us have 2 piggies each. they are friends and even popcorn together, he just started to change 2 days ago. I was worried that I did something annoying to him. I'm glad if it is his purberty time.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    972 Rec'd/753 Posts

It sounds like they are either in puberty or rapidly approaching. I know it would be fun to have them all play together, but in reality males in pairs just seems to work the best.

Your best bet is to just keep both pairs separate, and make sure that each cage has adequate space. Store bought cages are nowhere near big enough, and a too-small cage is sure to bring about more aggression during puberty and with that the possibility of serious, possibly fatal, injury.

5. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    2124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4127 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,572 Rec'd/6,054 Posts

Ditto on not putting them together. They don't play, and it just stresses them out. Give each one a buddy, and let the buddies stay together, but don't give them joint floor time.

Also, how big is your cage? Males need a lot of room, and lack of space is a major cause of aggression.

User Tag List