Thread: My guinea pig upper teeth broken, and it just sit there lifeless hours and hours

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

My guinea pig upper teeth broken, and it just sit there lifeless hours and hours

Help me, my guinea pig upper front teeth just got broken yesterday, and all it do is sitting in 1 place for hours and hours, i have feed it using the syringe but it didnt seem to swallow all of it, i dont know what to do?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    85 Rec'd/69 Posts

Re: My guinea pig upper teeth broken, and it just sit there lifeless hours and hours

Your pig needs to see an exotics vet who can take a look at his mouth and fix the issue. Depending on how bad it is, it could be addressed there (ex - my pig had a broken tooth so the vet numbed the area and removed the tooth) or the pig may need to go under anesthesia.

Mentioned
    2123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,560 Rec'd/6,042 Posts

Re: My guinea pig upper teeth broken, and it just sit there lifeless hours and hours

Ditto @4boipigs.

Breaking a tooth is not generally a problem for guinea pigs. They regrow quickly, and except for some difficulty picking up food, they usually manage on their own. And they usually can eat fine even if fed with a syringe.

The fact that your pig isn't doing that indicates that something more is wrong. His jaw may be broken or dislocated, and he may be in a lot of pain. He needs to see a good exotic vet as soon as possible for an x-ray and diagnosis, along with (probably) some pain medication.

Good luck to you and him. Let us know how he gets along.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Ditto @4boipigs.

Breaking a tooth is not generally a problem for guinea pigs. They regrow quickly, and except for some difficulty picking up food, they usually manage on their own. And they usually can eat fine even if fed with a syringe.

The fact that your pig isn't doing that indicates that something more is wrong. His jaw may be broken or dislocated, and he may be in a lot of pain. He needs to see a good exotic vet as soon as possible for an x-ray and diagnosis, along with (probably) some pain medication.

Good luck to you and him. Let us know how he gets along.
    Im sorry, i tried my best, he died

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    595 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    965 Rec'd/748 Posts

I'm sorry you lost him. It was likely more than just broken teeth, not that it will make you feel better. Rest in peace, little one.

User Tag List