Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/21 Posts

Guinea Pigs in Peru

Today I was walking in school and I saw a few posters on the wall that kids made for each country. Naturally I paused to take a look at them and my eyes were immediately drawn to a picture of a guinea pig. Apparently guinea pigs are eaten in Peru!!!

So my question is: how do you guys feel about this? Iím really sad that guinea pigs are being eaten. Why would someone want to consume these lovely creatures? While I understand that itís a native food, why guinea pigs?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    151 Rec'd/145 Posts

Re: Guinea Pigs in Peru

Peru is a poor country with an unstable government and drug cartels producing cocaine. The quality of life there is poor with a large population living in poverty. One way to generate income and provide food is to raise livestock. Chickens, rabbits, and guinea pigs are relatively easy and affordable to raise. Other countries also eat animals we consider pets, including horses, dogs and cats.

Personally, I feel sad for their situation. Here in the US it’s trendy to choose not to eat meat. In developing countries, they don’t eat much meat because they can’t afford it or because it isn’t available. Keeping pet animals is a luxury they don’t have. I’m just thankful my piggy and I aren’t in that situation.

User Tag List