Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Culture Guinea Pigs in Peru

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Today I was walking in school and I saw a few posters on the wall that kids made for each country. Naturally I paused to take a look at them and my eyes were immediately drawn to a picture of a guinea pig. Apparently guinea pigs are eaten in Peru!!! :eek:hmy:

So my question is: how do you guys feel about this? I’m really sad that guinea pigs are being eaten. Why would someone want to consume these lovely creatures? While I understand that it’s a native food, why guinea pigs?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Peru is a poor country with an unstable government and drug cartels producing cocaine. The quality of life there is poor with a large population living in poverty. One way to generate income and provide food is to raise livestock. Chickens, rabbits, and guinea pigs are relatively easy and affordable to raise. Other countries also eat animals we consider pets, including horses, dogs and cats.

Personally, I feel sad for their situation. Here in the US it’s trendy to choose not to eat meat. In developing countries, they don’t eat much meat because they can’t afford it or because it isn’t available. Keeping pet animals is a luxury they don’t have. I’m just thankful my piggy and I aren’t in that situation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.