Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Shredded paper bedding and/or waterproof bed pads under fleece?

lattelove

Cavy Slave
In reading through these forums, I see that materials such as wood pellets, towels, and U-Haul blankets are popular choices to use as an absorbent layer under fleece. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is shredded paper bedding under the fleece. I know many use paper exclusively as the only bedding in the cage (this is what I am doing now until my new C&C cage arrives in a few days and I transition to fleece), and others use it in a litter box area, but I haven't seen mention of it being used UNDER fleece. Is there a reason for this? When my new cage arrives, I am going to try using fleece, and I will still have quite a bit of paper bedding left over. I plan to use it for the kitchen/litter area, but is there any reason I shouldn't use it as an absorbent layer under the fleece?

I have also seen some recommend using waterproof bed pads under the fleece. Wouldn't the urine just bead up and sit on top of the pad? Should something absorbent be used also? Or am I thinking of the wrong kind of bed pad?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The main reason I'd avoid it is that paper is messy and smelly.

Fleece won't wick and stay dry unless there's something absorbent underneath.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
You could use paper bedding if you have some left over. It’s a good option for someone who doesn’t have enough time to clean the cage every day. people using bedding clean their cage every few days. In my case, I tried paper bedding with my guinea pigs once and it did not go very well. I don’t know if it was just my piggies, but they decided that it would be a great idea to eat the paper. Sooo that idea ended soon.

I strongly recommend using fleece with an absorbent layer underneath as it creates less waste, and it’s easy to clean. I have sewn fleece with u haul pads sewn in between the layers but lots of people just layer fleece over usual pads without sewing them together. Some people sew waterproof material under the absorbent layer to catch any liquid that manages to seep through. This way it protects their cage floors from liquid.

lattelove

Cavy Slave
Has anyone used anything like this as a layer underneath the fleece? The product description says sheet sets, but they are not sheets. They are waterproof pads for a baby or young child's crib, bed, etc. I used these when my kids were little, and I still have several that I use all the time for different purposes around the house, especially underneath room humidifiers in the winter to protect furniture.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Parents-...s-2-pack/442160028?fulfillmentIntent=In-store

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I have something similar, they are waterproof incontinence bed pads that are washable. I use a layer of fleece on the top and I don't sew them together. Everything is easier to wash when it's all separate. If you search for "waterproof incontinence bed pads washable" there are a lot of different places that sell them.

I have had these for over 10 years. I originally bought them for a dog with incontinence issues. They wash and dry well as long as you don't use fabric softener. They are designed to wick moisture so the surface and the fleece on top stays dry.

lattelove

Cavy Slave
Yes, my youngest son is 9, so mine are almost as old as yours, and they still work well. I think I have used them more often for other purposes than for bedwetting prevention! I never thought I would be planning to use them in a guinea pig cage, though!

So is that all you use...the incontinence pads with a layer of fleece on top? How often do you change the fleece, and how often do you change the waterproof pads? Also, are yours cut to fit the inner dimensions of the cage exactly like the commercially sold liners are, or do they overlap a bit and go up the sides as I have seen in some photos? I'm trying to decide on the best way to keep mine in place.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I have a homemade grid cage. The base is a wood frame and I lined that up the sides with types fabric, which is just a waterproof mattress cover. I put two incontinence pads overlapping a bit, and up the sides. Then I throw a layer of fleece over the whole thing. One yard is 36”x 55” and covers the base. Then I set the cage on top inside the frame.

I also have wee pads or extra fleece pieces in the corners since that’s where they go most often. The wee pads get replaced daily, the fleece about every 3 days, and the incontinence pads once a week unless they look soiled. Here’s a picture that might show it better.

Lacey cage decor red and black.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.