Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Have you tried?

kornales

Cavy Slave
Have you tried giving this popular item called CBD to your babies? My baby has been sick for a week and a vet suggested that I try this product on her...I've seen more information (broken link removed) but I'm still really hesitant on the possible effects on her...should i risk and try since the vet suggested it anyway?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if this is a spam post but I'll reply anyway. Saskia at LAGPR swears by CBD for pain in pigs, however if your vet truly suggested this I'm wary of the vet. What is happening with the pig? Why can't the vet just prescribe a medication that is known to actually work?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There is no research on CBD oil and pigs, and not much anywhere else. All we've got is anecdotal reports, and those are not reliable. I wouldn't give it to my pigs.

You say your pig is sick. What signs of illness do you see?

kornales

Cavy Slave
My pig seems stressed and she bite me once...the vet said she has arthritis...i saw some articles on google though that its safe for guinea pigs? What should i give her then? Should i go to another vet?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
My pig seems stressed and she bite me once...the vet said she has arthritis...i saw some articles on google though that its safe for guinea pigs? What should i give her then? Should i go to another vet?

Does your vet have knowledge of exotics? There's safe pain meds for pigs...I don't know what should be given long term for arthritis. I've used metacam for longer periods, however it does have risks of kidney issues. We weren't concerned about that due to the age of my pig.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did the vet do x-rays for arthritis?

Pigs don't usually bite, but when they do, it's because they're in pain. Does your pig have any signs of mites? Itching? Hair loss? Mites can make a pig mighty cranky.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.