Thread: Is this Ringworm? (Hair loss + Crusty skin above one eye)

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Is this Ringworm? (Hair loss + Crusty skin above one eye)

Hi,
    On Friday, we found a hairless spot (a bit crusty also) right above our three month old male guinea pig's left eye (See images here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing). Took him to the vet yesterday suspecting that it could be ringworms, but the vet told me it doesn't look like ringworms/mites/lice and could be vitamin c deficiency... I looked up the symptoms of that and none of them match (we feed the pigs plenty of vitamin c rich veggies daily, so I couldn't see how that could be it. Does this look like ringworm to you guys? If so I think I will start treating for ringworm just in case. Thank you so much!

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Quoted
    587 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    953 Rec'd/737 Posts

Re: Is this Ringworm? (Hair loss + Crusty skin above one eye)

It looks like fungus to me. And because it's so close to the eye, you'll need a prescription for it.

Was this an exotics vet you saw?

3. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    It looks like fungus to me. And because it's so close to the eye, you'll need a prescription for it.

Was this an exotics vet you saw?
    It's a vet that treats animals from cats and dogs to guinea pigs and hamsters. Pretty much the only vet that takes guinea pigs around here so I didn't really have a choice :( I went on LA guinea pig rescue's website for ringworm treatment steps and so far I have given both my pigs a bath with anti-dandruff shampoo they recommended. I'm thinking about giving them some anti fungal cream but I'm worried also because it's so close to the eye... Would it be a bad idea? Thanks again.

Mentioned
    2122 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4116 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,556 Rec'd/6,038 Posts

It's not ringworm -- that causes an actual ring. But it does look like a fungus, and ringworm is a fungus, so it's so nearly the same it might as well be.

There are no over-the-counter treatments for fungus that near the eye, so you'll need to see a vet for an ophthalmic fungus prescription.

User Tag List