Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Is this Ringworm? (Hair loss + Crusty skin above one eye)

lucyy233

Cavy Gazer
Hi,
On Friday, we found a hairless spot (a bit crusty also) right above our three month old male guinea pig's left eye (See images here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dQoRaIxmvRbjDxlCwyjT6rdJHcp9i60uTrf5AcEU4IE/edit?usp=sharing). Took him to the vet yesterday suspecting that it could be ringworms, but the vet told me it doesn't look like ringworms/mites/lice and could be vitamin c deficiency... I looked up the symptoms of that and none of them match (we feed the pigs plenty of vitamin c rich veggies daily, so I couldn't see how that could be it. Does this look like ringworm to you guys? If so I think I will start treating for ringworm just in case. Thank you so much!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It looks like fungus to me. And because it's so close to the eye, you'll need a prescription for it.

Was this an exotics vet you saw?

lucyy233

Cavy Gazer
It looks like fungus to me. And because it's so close to the eye, you'll need a prescription for it.

Was this an exotics vet you saw?
It's a vet that treats animals from cats and dogs to guinea pigs and hamsters. Pretty much the only vet that takes guinea pigs around here so I didn't really have a choice :( I went on LA guinea pig rescue's website for ringworm treatment steps and so far I have given both my pigs a bath with anti-dandruff shampoo they recommended. I'm thinking about giving them some anti fungal cream but I'm worried also because it's so close to the eye... Would it be a bad idea? Thanks again.​

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not ringworm -- that causes an actual ring. But it does look like a fungus, and ringworm is a fungus, so it's so nearly the same it might as well be.

There are no over-the-counter treatments for fungus that near the eye, so you'll need to see a vet for an ophthalmic fungus prescription.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.