Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding New friend for my lone male guinea??

DelawareRunner

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I am new here. I've been researching all week on how/if it's safe to bond my male (not neutered) guinea to another male. He is four years old and his brother passed last week. I can tell it has been hard on him. He loved his brother! However, his brother put up with him chasing and mounting him and I am not sure another pig would be so pleased. Sammy is an older and smaller pig, but persistent. VERY friendly, never tried to fight or bite his brother--but he can get wound up.

Should I try to (slowly) bond him to a baby male? Or would an adult be better? Just let him live alone? I'm happy with just him, but I'm not so sure he's happy with just him.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum, and please accept my sincere condolences on your loss.

So glad to know you've done your research!

I would get him a buddy, roughly his own age. That way they can grow old together and if one does happen to pass away and you don't plan on more pigs, they would not be alone long.

Check your local rescues to see what they might have available. An older spayed female would also make a wonderful companion for him. A rescue might even let you do a so-called "meet and greet" and he can pick out his own buddy.

If you do plan on getting more pigs, you could absolutely try a baby. They would almost certainly get along well fairly quickly but you'll obviously hit bumps in the road when he hits puberty and he may decide to assert dominance. I've been in your situation a few times, and tried it a few different ways. I've been lucky that my boys have all bonded.

DelawareRunner

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum, and please accept my sincere condolences on your loss.

So glad to know you've done your research!

I would get him a buddy, roughly his own age. That way they can grow old together and if one does happen to pass away and you don't plan on more pigs, they would not be alone long.

Check your local rescues to see what they might have available. An older spayed female would also make a wonderful companion for him. A rescue might even let you do a so-called "meet and greet" and he can pick out his own buddy.

If you do plan on getting more pigs, you could absolutely try a baby. They would almost certainly get along well fairly quickly but you'll obviously hit bumps in the road when he hits puberty and he may decide to assert dominance. I've been in your situation a few times, and tried it a few different ways. I've been lucky that my boys have all bonded.

Thanks so much! All this is very informative and reassuring. I like the idea of the spayed female as well....now to try to find a friend. Again--thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.