Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Loft/Built in house

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
So I recently put in a cardboard box for my boys to use as a tunnel/house and noticed that they enjoy jumping on top of it and looking around. For this reason I was thinking about adding a small loft they can jump on and off of. Basically I would attach another grid (or maybe 2 so it would be a 1x1 or 1x2 area) halfway up the side of the cage instead of the top of the cage the way I see most lofts are so it's only about 6in tall under and above rather than the height of a full grid. I figure this way they can hide underneath or jump up top and look around. There wouldn't be any ramps or sides to it because my idea is for them to be able to jump up and down but I would obviously attach something to make a solid non slip bottom.

Has anybody tried this before or is it too dangerous or too short height wise?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think you'll find pictures of those in the photo galleries. The main thing is to make sure there's no place for their feet to get caught jumping up or down.

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
I was looking in the gallery but only saw the full size one but it's quite possible I missed them. But good to know that they do exist

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
You can go to the cage store associated with this forum and go to the "Expanding" section for products or ideas.

I built a cross between a patio and a mezzanine for a section of my 2x10 upper loft.

I would recommend that if you don't have a full cover for your cage you make one for this area or go up another 1/2 or full grid around it for safety.

I did put a short ramp on mine. They could potentially jump up and down, but I didn't want to risk back or leg injuries from a clumsy accident.

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
@Smileandnod Thanks for reminding me about the store I always forget about it but I found the expansions you were talking about and it was actually very helpful so thank you

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
I forgot to mention I do have a wire shelving unit for a cover so no need to worry about falling/jumping out of the cage

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.