Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Dogs and guinea pigs?

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! I know I haven't been on here for awhile, but out new dog has been acting strange with Rosie. We were trying to get them used to each other and he was snarling and yipping at her. When I picked her up, he kept jumping on me and snapping at her. He's not aggressive, just excited. He is also not neutered yet, we are doing it soon.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't get them used to each other. Just let them interact through the cage bars, unless he's large enough to tip the cage over or is scaring her.

Most dogs are not safe with guinea pigs, and if you've got one that's aggressive from the outset, it's a good indication that you should let them be, away from each other. We've had too many instances of dogs killing guinea pigs, occasionally even with the owner holding the pig. Don't let that happen to you.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Ok, he was a little crazy around her. He's a small dog, 10lbs.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I know it happens and that people occasionally have a guinea pig and a dog that are the best of buds, and they so adorably document it on TikTok or Instagram. I shudder to think how many people have viewed these videos and tried it with their pigs only to lose them horribly.

Under no circumstances would I EVER have a loose cat or dog near my pigs. It only takes a split second for disaster.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
You should probably just keep them away from each other (pig in cage and not where dog can reach it, and dog not allowed in room). A dog may be small, but some still have a prey drive and will be tempted to chase/kill a pig. My cat and dog are not allowed near the pigs and they don't interact w/ each other.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks guys!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
There is also the issue with bordatella virus between dogs and guinea pigs. Healthy vaccinated dogs carry the virus and it causes respiratory disease in guinea pigs. Dogs and guinea pigs should not touch each other, and after handling the dog wash your hands before handling the guinea pig. It’s just not worth the risk.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
I try to keep my dog away from my guinea pigs but honestly I’m not worried. Whenever my guinea pigs are out I make sure to hold my dog away from them. I don’t know if it was just my dog, but he kind of doesn’t care about the piggies. It could be because he’s older (5yrs) or just his personality but he’s never even attempted to bite or case them. Maybe it’s because we have so many foster animals coming and going that he’s gotten used to them.

When we first got my guinea pigs of course he was exited so I made sure to hold him back and only stiff through the bars. Now I’ve caught him sleeping next to the guinea pig cage and letting my piggies use him as a fluffy pillow to sleep on. :) While I trust my dog around my guinea pigs I always make sure to watch him when my guinea pigs are out just in case.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.