Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay DIY Hay Rack

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
I've been feeling like I've been going through hay too fast (20-30lbs a month for 2 pigs) due to waste. I started off trying different racks but felt as though my pigs weren't eating enough so I started just putting piles of hay in the cage which my pigs love; however, I noticed a lot goes to waste from them peeing and pooping on it and them not wanting to eat it because they trampled it. This also worries me because I'm worried they'll run out of what they consider edible hay and not eat while I'm sleeping or out.

I decided I needed a middle ground so today I created my own hay rack out of a spare grid and coroplast and I put it in their hay box. I'm hoping this way they'll eat from both the rack and pile so I don't waste as much hay and no need to worry about them running out of fresh hay IMG-20210907-WA0000.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Myguineapiggy

Cavy Slave
I also made a hay feeder out of a cardboard box! I think it’s much safer than some of the racks online. It keeps the hay accessible and in one spot so the cage stays cleaner.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.