Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Question about making an L-shaped cage

Dreamweaver1

Cavy Slave
I was looking at this cage extension https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/small-to-xl-extension and it says it's not compatible with creating an L-shape, and I'm not sure why it wouldn't be - if it's designed to fit inside the grids, shouldn't it fit on just as well on the side as on the end? Has anyone used one of these to make an L-shaped cage?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I haven't used them, but here's my $.02.

I think that if you placed that extension as the short leg of the L, it wouldn't exactly fit in the place of the grids. That's not to say that you couldn't make it work, only that you might have overlapping grids down the inside walls of the L.

You'd also have to cut down the side walls of the existing cage so they could run freely through the whole cage. If it were me, I wouldn't remove the wall -- I'd just cut slits down the wall and fold the wall down and layer it under the extension. That way, you wouldn't have an open joint where lots of stuff could fall through.

Dreamweaver1

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure I understand...are you saying it's not possible to make an L-shape out of the grids?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not saying that at all. But when you remove part of the grids to join the extension, there may be a gap in the inside wall of the long leg. So you'll have to adjust the grids to make it butt up against the inside wall of the extension. So the grids may overlap along that wall.

Dreamweaver1

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure why turning a grid 90 degrees would make it fit in the connectors differently, but I suppose I will have to take your word for it. I have plenty of zipties that I'm sure will be useful.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It has nothing to do with the connectors.

You'd be connecting the "opening" of the extension to the side of your existing cage. If that opening isn't the exact size of the number of grids you have to remove from the cage, then there's going to be a gap that has to be filled. To do that, you'll have to overlap the grids to slide one up to the grids on the extension.

If, on the other hand, that opening is exactly two grids wide (I'm assuming two is the most logical), then there should be no problem.

Dreamweaver1

Cavy Slave
Well it was going to be using the exact same grids as the ones I removed, bought from the same site, so I would assume they would be the same size.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe it will be. That would make it very easy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.