Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Forages Lawn grazing

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
Hey everybody, so the weather is starting to cool off where I live so I decided to take my pigs outside for some natural sun and to give them something new.

I was just wondering if I should limit the amount of grazing they do when I take them out. The grass is untreated and no other animals go out into the area I bring them. Is there any concerns I should have about taking them outside or grazing

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The only thing to really worry about, is start them slow eating grass. Too much can upset their digestive tract, so take it slow. As long as you're positive the grass is untreated you should be fine.

I worry about bugs too, so be sure to check them for ticks and such before you bring them in.

And just as an aside, make sure they are covered. I had to stop taking my boys out in the side yard some time ago, because there was a hawk waiting for me to bring them out one morning.

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
The only thing to really worry about, is start them slow eating grass. Too much can upset their digestive tract, so take it slow. As long as you're positive the grass is untreated you should be fine.

I worry about bugs too, so be sure to check them for ticks and such before you bring them in.

And just as an aside, make sure they are covered. I had to stop taking my boys out in the side yard some time ago, because there was a hawk waiting for me to bring them out one morning.
I had them outside for about 40min grazing do you think that's too long for one of their first trips, should I keep it to like 15min for now?

I'll definitely make sure to check them for ticks and other bugs thanks for the reminder on that.

I'll have to think of something to use as a cover, one of the reasons I bring them outside is the room they are in has no windows so I want to give them some sunlight so I want to be able to use something the light can get through but I definitely don't want a hawk getting to them so I'll probably just use some spare coroplast until I can think of something

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Also, watch out for snakes. We have snakes around here and they are always on the lookout for rodents. I've seen some pretty small snakes eat some pretty big prey so don't judge it just on it's size.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I had them outside for about 40min grazing do you think that's too long for one of their first trips, should I keep it to like 15min for now?

I'll definitely make sure to check them for ticks and other bugs thanks for the reminder on that.

I'll have to think of something to use as a cover, one of the reasons I bring them outside is the room they are in has no windows so I want to give them some sunlight so I want to be able to use something the light can get through but I definitely don't want a hawk getting to them so I'll probably just use some spare coroplast until I can think of something

Good call about the snakes. We don't really have that problem here.

In addition to making sure they're covered, make sure they have somewhere to hide that is out of the direct sunlight. Even if it's cooler, in direct sunlight can cause their internal temperature to rise and may bring on heat stroke.

I have seen an upside down C and C cage used as an outdoor play area.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd limit it to 7-8 minutes to begin, and very slowly increase it. Too much fresh grass can upset any animal. It can cause scours in calves, and they can die from it. Same result with guinea pigs if they get too much.

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
Thank you everybody for the replies this is a lot of good information that I will most definitely take into account

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.