Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/4 Posts

Tickles

Hey everyone, in the attached video, would you say my girl is enjoying herself, or asking me to stop. Please ignore the TV on in the background.

Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    780 Rec'd/675 Posts

Re: Tickles

After watching the video I would say that your girl isn't enjoying her massage. If you stay around her neck she might like it but once you move towards her backside that really seems to annoy pigs. I've never had a pig that liked me to touch their hindquarters.

I have to say though your piggy is adorable. She has such beautiful coloring.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/4 Posts

Ok, I wasn't sure.

Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1201 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,648 Rec'd/1,355 Posts

I can tell that she isn't enjoying herself by her body language. Suggest you use a lighter touch when doing the "tickles". They really are quite delicate and sensitive even though they may appear strong and robust. It simply requires a different touch than you would use on a cat or dog.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/4 Posts

I had never done that before, and was just going to leave her. But I massaged her very gently, and she flopped down in front of me, then stretched and yawned (which I had never seen) and kept licking my fingers.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/17 Posts

Aww! That’s really cute. I once was bringing home a foster guinea pig and he slept on my lap the entire way! (My mom was driving) I was really surprised as most fosters that I’ve had were terrified and really skittish. But this little guy was perfectly at peace with me. Now don’t worry, I kept him in the carrier, I just plopped the lid off and I held the carrier on my lap. He was a tiny little guy (few weeks old) named Macaroon.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    549 Rec'd/463 Posts

Yawing is aggressive body language in guinea pigs it means "look at how big my teeth are, don't mess with me". They don't yawn when they are tired like us, they yawn as a warning before they bite.

It is sometimes accompanied by teeth chattering, which means "back off", it sounds like loud teeth grinding. The stretching and laying down is also "I'm not scared of you", so accompanied by aggressive body language it means they WILL bite if you keep bothering them.

They don't generally like their bottoms scratched, usually when something is touching their back/bottom it is another guinea pig mounting them. If a guinea pig is a more dominant personality they will never respond well to their back/bottom being touched as they really don't appreciate being mounted.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/17 Posts

Ahhh yes. Both of my guinea pigs HATE being petted on their behind. If I even start to pet that way, then they jump, do a flip and start teeth chartering at me.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/4 Posts

Seems everyone has different point of view

Don't worry, I only scratch her up by the head. And I don't think she's being aggressive. She doesn't seem that way at all.

User Tag List