Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Tickles

CanadianPiggies

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone, in the attached video, would you say my girl is enjoying herself, or asking me to stop. Please ignore the TV on in the background.

https://youtu.be/3EEMy6wdwYY

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
After watching the video I would say that your girl isn't enjoying her massage. If you stay around her neck she might like it but once you move towards her backside that really seems to annoy pigs. I've never had a pig that liked me to touch their hindquarters.

I have to say though your piggy is adorable. She has such beautiful coloring.

CanadianPiggies

Cavy Slave
Ok, I wasn't sure.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I can tell that she isn't enjoying herself by her body language. Suggest you use a lighter touch when doing the "tickles". They really are quite delicate and sensitive even though they may appear strong and robust. It simply requires a different touch than you would use on a cat or dog.

CanadianPiggies

Cavy Slave
I had never done that before, and was just going to leave her. But I massaged her very gently, and she flopped down in front of me, then stretched and yawned (which I had never seen) and kept licking my fingers.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Aww! That’s really cute. I once was bringing home a foster guinea pig and he slept on my lap the entire way! (My mom was driving) I was really surprised as most fosters that I’ve had were terrified and really skittish. But this little guy was perfectly at peace with me. Now don’t worry, I kept him in the carrier, I just plopped the lid off and I held the carrier on my lap. He was a tiny little guy (few weeks old) named Macaroon.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Yawing is aggressive body language in guinea pigs it means "look at how big my teeth are, don't mess with me". They don't yawn when they are tired like us, they yawn as a warning before they bite.

It is sometimes accompanied by teeth chattering, which means "back off", it sounds like loud teeth grinding. The stretching and laying down is also "I'm not scared of you", so accompanied by aggressive body language it means they WILL bite if you keep bothering them.

They don't generally like their bottoms scratched, usually when something is touching their back/bottom it is another guinea pig mounting them. If a guinea pig is a more dominant personality they will never respond well to their back/bottom being touched as they really don't appreciate being mounted.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Ahhh yes. Both of my guinea pigs HATE being petted on their behind. If I even start to pet that way, then they jump, do a flip and start teeth chartering at me.

CanadianPiggies

Cavy Slave
Seems everyone has different point of view :)

Don't worry, I only scratch her up by the head. And I don't think she's being aggressive. She doesn't seem that way at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.