Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I think my hamster is about to kick the bucket

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Never mentioned it on here, but in July I adopted a 2 yr old hamster from the animal shelter. He's been handled well by his old owner and is very friendly. This morning he's cool to the touch, sleeping in an odd spot, wobbles when he is able to walk, and he's crying quietly when I first prodded him to see if he was dead/okay. He was supposed to see the vet tomorrow for a new pet visit. Today I think he's going to work with me. I know hamsters don't live long but 'he was fine' last night. He's my first hamster, and I have no idea if to wait til I go to work at 7am (its 5am) or go to the only ER that may/may not see exotics and kiss all my money goodbye.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I had a dwarf hamster once, several years ago. She was similar one morning, and she didn't survive the day. Not saying this is what will happen here, but she was about the same age.

I'm sorry he isn't doing well.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
@4boipigs, I'm very sorry to read that your hamster is feeling poorly and hope he will perk up. It really hurt to read that "he's crying quietly ...."

I helped my niece and nephew care for their dwarf hamster, Ryan, when they were children. In fact I liked the hamster so much I kept him with me for weeks on end but it only lived about 18 months. I'm sure the fact that Ryan's bedding was cedar chips didn't help but we were quite ignorant back then. I think the pet store employee told my sister that was the correct bedding. We also kept feeding Ryan sunflower seeds as we thought that was what he was supposed to eat. The hamster's short life span is the reason I decided to have guinea pigs instead.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
We euthanized him after the doctor came in. I know he was old but it sucks he only lasted a month. He was so friendly and his old owner probably really cared for him.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry that your hamster has passed. He was lucky enough to have multiple pet parents that really cared and took good care of him.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry that your hamster passed away. I think it's wonderful that you gave him a caring home and lots of love during his final few weeks. Not many people have that big of a heart to adopt an older guy like he was. You did a wonderful thing and I have a lot of respect for you.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Thanks all for the kind words. I did have him cremated so he'll get to come home again.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I just wanted to show off the pawprints I got today. I had Spencer cremated. I was pretty impressed with the paws.

240878843_1718844394985661_7145702538844944770_n.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's adorable, @4boipigs . I am sorry for your loss. Your time with him was short but he knew a great life with both of you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.