Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Side by side liner experiment....

deanaimee

Cavy Slave
Hi all! We are just venturing into the world of guinea pig as and I have been researching for months.
Have any of you noticed that a cotton towel under fleece absorbs faster than the Uhaul pad under the fleece? How fast should this be?
I was testing my fleece’s wicking power after of wash and dry and it worked so well with the kitchen towel that I had handy. It immediately absorbed through the fleece and soaked into the towel.
I tried again with my washed-3-times uhaul pad and it soaked into the fleece, but the Uhaul pad didn’t absorb the water fast. Is this normal and am I expecting too much? Haha.
Thank you!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Is the liner sewn into the layers of fleece, or is it directly under the fleece? I have fleece from various Etsy makers - they ALL work differently. Some hold the pee well. Others have pee go straight thru. I use disposable puppy pads under everything either way.

deanaimee

Cavy Slave
Is the liner sewn into the layers of fleece, or is it directly under the fleece? I have fleece from various Etsy makers - they ALL work differently. Some hold the pee well. Others have pee go straight thru. I use disposable puppy pads under everything either way.
Thanks for the reply :)
I haven’t sewn anything together. Just the Uhaul pads sandwiched between the fleece layers. The fleece wicks the water perfectly.....I just feel the the Uhaul pad isn’t pulling it down. When I had the towel under the fleece, the water was sucked down and the fleece was nearly dry to the touch right after. My Uhaul pad don’t seem as absorbent 👎🏻👎🏻

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Have you considered the absorbent material Zorb?

I have made pads with Zorb and Uhaul. The Zorb works great at absorbing quickly.

The Zorb pads are also easier on my washer and dryer because they don't seem to get as heavy when really wet while washing like the U-Haul pads do especially if it's a large size pad (2x5 or 2x6). With the Zorb, my front load washer doesn't go unbalanced and it doesn't take as long in the dryer.

deanaimee

Cavy Slave
Have you considered the absorbent material Zorb?

I have made pads with Zorb and Uhaul. The Zorb works great at absorbing quickly.

The Zorb pads are also easier on my washer and dryer because they don't seem to get as heavy when really wet while washing like the U-Haul pads do especially if it's a large size pad (2x5 or 2x6). With the Zorb, my front load washer doesn't go unbalanced and it doesn't take as long in the dryer.
Thank you for responding:) I have not, but will check more into it :) I also have a front loader and can see the benefit of that.
I purposefully haven’t seen the Uhaul to the fleece for the reason.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I use washable bed pads under a layer of fleece and keep the layers separate. They’re easier to wash than when they’re sewn together.

Wee pads in the corners of the cage will keep the cage clean longer. They usually wee in the corners, so I make pads using a top layer of fleece, middle of microfiber towel or kitchen towel, and bottom woven fabric like quilt fabric. I sew these together about the size of a placemat and change them out daily. I flip them woven side up to use for a hay pile so the hay doesn’t stick.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.