Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection UTI that's gotten worse!

pumpkinspice

Cavy Gazer
Hi y'all! I'm pretty sick to my stomach about this and pretty terrified. I have 3 sows, two of them are 4 years old and 1 is under a year. My girl Riley has had on and off UTIs since covid hit, she's been put on meds. (baytril) and it stops and comes back, meds again. ETC. Today, I immediately noticed she had lost weight and freaked, then noticed it was easy to catch her and knew something was def wrong. I picked her up and I'm sure she has a urine scalding, her bottom is wet and swollen. Because I'm an adult, I put her down and cried. Then of course called the vet, I can't get anything until Wednesday morning, half the vets in my area stopped taking exotics or they're booked. Cleaned their cage. I soaked her bottom and applied diaper rash cream. She's started to pick up and is eating, it practically looks like she gained weight. (I doubt its that quickly but). Its clear she's squeaking when she's urinating, and her poop is very soft. I gave her some baytril (that I have left over from the time she fooled me into thinking she had a URI = 250 dollar vet bill lol) and benebac to help. Baytril didn't help before, but I'm desperate at this point. I'm just wondering is there anything else I can do to help her before I can get her to the vet? also, how often I should soak her? I feel like it had happened so quickly, but I wish I caught it sooner.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Has she been x-rayed for bladder stones/sludge? Id be worried there is something more going on with reoccurring UTI's.

Have you got any small fleece pads? If you do it may help her to put one under where she is spending most of her time and change it out as frequently as needed. Also trimming the fur around her genitals may help lessen the urine scald.

I would be wanting to give her a butt bath at least 3 times a day, maybe more depending on how she is looking. Make sure she is still drinking and eating properly, and continues to do so. If at any point she stops urinating completely and seems to be in pain take her to an emergency vet immediately, if she does have a bladder stone it is possible for these to fall into the urethra and block the flow of urine, this is extremely painful and fatal if not treated promptly.

pumpkinspice

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for getting back to me! Unfortunately she has not, that's going to be my go to thing on Wednesday. And I have a few pads ! I'll start doing that on her.

Good to know, my mom was like yeah that might be too much but I wanted to make sure! She's continuing to eat and drink thank god, and i'll keep an eye out on her urination. I'm hoping this doesn't get any worse and she'll be okay by Wednesday morning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.