Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs Curious of prices in your area

Moxii92

Cavy Slave
Hi, I am new here and need some questions answered (I apologize if you see this post somewhere else, I didn't mean to).

I have 4 guinea pigs in total with 1 who has a lump close to her bum. I noticed this bump a few months ago (I brought her to the vet where he said it would cost $270.00 for biopsy & $1,000 to remove). I live in Ontario, Canada. Where are you from and what does your vet bill costs look like? Guinea Pigs are considered exotic in my area (I have 12 vet clinics near me and only 2 accept guinea pigs).

I am the only one working (my boyfriend lost his job because of COVID), other vet clinics aren't taking new people because of COVID. I am stuck with this vet clinic and right now my only option is to put her down which is tomorrow at 3:30pm. I do NOT want to put her down because she is STILL eating and drinking normally, she is walking/running, grooming herself, interacting with her cage mates (I have them separated but she is still close to them), interacting with noises and myself and my partner normally. She has A LOT of life in her and she is only 3 years old. The cost to put her down is $169.99 not including taxes.

*BACK STORY*
I had health issues at the end of May, June and in July so I was unable to care for her like I wanted to. Prior to my health problem, I did call around asking other vets for help but most don't accept guinea pigs or aren't taking new people because of COVID.I DO NOT WANT to put her down but it seems like its my only option. My heart is completely shattered right now. I failed as a guinea pig mom!!

Any advice would be GREAT and I do want to know how much people pay for the vets out of curiosity. Is it normal for a $1,000 removal???? Also how can I make my guinea pig comfortable on her last day? I am giving her some treats she never had before, giving her water, hay and her pellets to keep her tummy happy.

Sorry this is long but its my first time here and my heart is broken. I dont know where else to go

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry you are in this situation.

Vet costs vary widely, even in the same city. I also am in Ontario, Canada. Those surgery costs do seem to be fairly in line with everything I've heard around here.

Is there a possibility that your vet will let you make payments? Some will and some won't, but in your shoes I would ask and explain your situation. The answer may be no, but it never hurts to ask and may get you exactly what you need.

Is the bump growing? Were you given a diagnosis of what it is? If it isn't affecting her quality of life and isn't growing and she isn't in danger, I might be inclined to let it wait a bit until I was in a better situation.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe the lump doesn't even need to be removed. If it's a soft and squishy lipoma (fatty tumor), it won't hurt her unless it gets large enough to impede her movement or cause her pain. Ditto if it moves around easily. And if it's soft and squishy, I wouldn't even bother to have it biopsied.

Also, send a private message to sallyvh -- she's in Ontario and may have other suggestions. $1000 seems really high to me for the removal of a lipoma, if that's what it is.

On the other hand, if it's hard and/or unmoveable, then it does need to be removed. But see if you can find a rescue that will take her rather than having her put down.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Prices vary around here in Texas. One exotics vet is super expensive and even has a TV show ($105 for an exam)...the other vet we go to is pretty decently priced ($65 for an exam), and another one we went to was even cheaper ($120 for the visit, eye stain, and meds). I work at a vet and our biopsies don't cost that much for cats/dogs. I think it's $170 at the most.

I don't understand why they suggested euthanasia? What is the lump doing that is making them think she should be put down? I wouldn't go by their suggestion for that if she's acting normally. If she is acting normal and living happily now, then putting her to sleep seems wrong on the vet's part.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Also if the lump is an abscess (they are usually hard, but moveable, and develop suddenly) you may not need to have it removed either, you could instead ask the pricing on having it lanced (cut open). This is usually cheaper, but it does require a lot more after care on your part. This would involve at least 2x daily flushing and ensuring it stays open until it has healed from the inside, otherwise it will just re-form if you allow it to close.

Renonaren

Cavy Gazer
Sorry to hear about your situation! I hope it's not too late & that your piggie is okay! I'm in the U.S. but some animal shelters have reduced cost veterinary services and some of them do see guinea pigs, even if the shelter mostly rescues cats and dogs.

pumpkinspice

Cavy Gazer
that's insane! I live in NYC generally its 60 - 80 for a checkup. 30-50 for meds. I did have one occasion when I brought mine in for an emergency because I thought she had a URI and it costs me 250. 1000 for removal sounds crazy to me!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have been thinking about this poor little girl. I was hoping for an update, and very hopeful that something was able to be done for her.

Moxii92

Cavy Slave
Hi

Thank you for wanting an update. I didnt put her down. The vet is on holidays right now, her appointment is on the 24th for an assessment. I HOPE he is able to remove it or something. She is still eating, drinking, communicating... everything. I am thankful that I came here and got advice, I appreciate to all that commented. I will update after her appointment. *fingers crossed* for my baby girl. Just hope it doesnt come back...

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear she is still with us. Don't give up hope.

Would love to hear how she progresses. You have mine and my boys thoughts and best wishes.

Moxii92

Cavy Slave
Really appreciate it! thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.