Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/53 Posts

Oxbow 90oz hay bags are cursed

Has anyone gotten angry at these 90oz bags Oxbow has switched to? I started to avoid buying them because the hay is crammed in there so much that it is difficult and annoying to pull it out. Compare that to the smaller bags a size down, with loose hay I can easily remove and not make a mess.

My coworker buys boxes of Oxbow hay from Chewy for nearly the same price of the 90oz bags. Does anyone have experience with the *boxes* of Oxbow hay?

I work in a pet store and get a discount on stuff, and wanted to avoid shipping items which is why I keep buying the bags...but with this recent bag I got, I'm ready to try something else.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Re: Oxbow 90oz hay bags are cursed

I get the Oxbow hay blends bags for my pigs because they love it. But yes I agree, sometimes the hay can be SO difficult to pull out of the bag, yet other times it’s really easy. In the past we’ve had to cut open the bag and put some of it into an empty bag to separate it and pull it apart.

It’s really weird but I don’t know what other hay to try because my pigs like Oxbow. I’ll just have to put up with the difficulty of pulling the hay out!
    I’ve never tried the boxes but they could be a good option?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quoted
    585 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    947 Rec'd/731 Posts

Bags have been driving me nuts as well, since they started packing them this way. I may just start with the 50 lb boxes through Amazon.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    139 Rec'd/133 Posts

I had issues with the 90 oz bags as well. The hay seemed more coarse and Lacey seemed to leave a lot of it uneaten. So I started buying the 40 oz size. I put it in a big dog food bin which makes it easier to pull apart.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/53 Posts

I just order a 9lb box on Amazon. It's $23, which is about the same price list price for the 90oz (most places mark it down and with my discount at work it's usually $18). I'm hoping it's a lot easier and hopefully not messy...and save me some money. The only thing I'm worried about is it going bad if not used quick enough.

User Tag List