Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Young Guinea Pig Not Growing

reefsharkdaddy

Cavy Slave
About 4 months ago I adopted two baby guinea pigs that were born around the same time (but different mothers). They are both boys and have been eating, drinking and exercising very well. Their names are Tony and Kevin for reference. Tony is at least an inch bigger than Kevin even though they have the exact same diets and housing situation (2X4). They are coming up on 8 months old so I'm concerned that there might be something wrong with Kevin? I don't know what it could be because he shows no signs of sickness at all. He is a very active and lively pig that always wants attention. The only thing I've noticed with him is he always has his head slightly tilted to his left. Both of them are Abyssinian. We always joke about him having dwarfism... but is that even possible? I really have no idea, but as long as he's happy and healthy I'm happy. For context on their diet they get orchard grass hay, alfalfa hay, oxbow young guinea pig pellets, vitamin c treats, and assorted vegetables like lettuce, carrots, bell pepper, etc. I have access to an exotic vet so if you guys think I should have him checked out please let me know!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No two pigs are the same, and it IS possible for one to be smaller than the other. Weight wise, how much smaller are we talking? I had littermates where one was consistently at least 100 grams heavier than his brother.

The head tilt may be of some concern, but if it hasn't gotten more pronounced or shown other symptoms it may be nothing at all.

To give you an idea, at 8 months old Punkin was 1350 grams whereas Scooter was 1250.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Haven't you ever seen two kids the same age who were very different sizes? Even in the same family? Why should guinea pigs all be the same?

The head tilt is worth investigating, as it could be sign of an ear infection.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.